[Assam] Day2: Assam 2007: Pt2; engg colleges, NRAs & C

kamal deka kjit.deka at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 21:12:21 PDT 2007

That's exactly what I wanted to say.One can't do away with the problem of
flood,but one can alleviate the sufferings of affected ones to the minimum
by taking timely and appropriate measures.

As I wrote earlier,setting up of engineering colleges in round numbers is
okay,but building up of infrastructure is a sine-qua-non of economic
development.By infrastructure,I mean to refer to the social overhead
facilities,relating to
power,roads,railways,banking,communication,education,health etc.*WITHOUT
THESE FACILITIES ON HAND,TO INSIST ON BUILDING BUNCH OF ENGINEERING COLLEGES
IS ANALOGOUS TO A CHILD WHO WANTS TO RUN BEFORE BEING ABLE TO WALK !!!!!*

Allow me to furnish an example.Out of some 22 thousand villages,more than
8000 villages ( I may be  little off in citing these figures ) have still
remain unconnected with all-weather roads.How costly are their
production,consumption and trade can be easily imagined.*The bottom line is
this---one can build new engineering colleges as many as he or she wants
to,but that is not going to cast a magic spell in the economic development
of Assam unless sincere efforts are made to put those basic facilities into
proper place.*

KJD