[Assam] Naga attacks on Assam

Jyotirmoy Sharma jsharma at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 6 18:06:28 PDT 2007

Has the CM left the US? The seriousness of this issue should be
highlighted to him.
We should celebrate or dance to Zubeen Garg's music but at the same
time think of the people who are falling victims to Naga crimes.
Hopefully we don't hear statements like "have to maintain age old
brotherly relations" and forget about this issue. A brother who harms
you and threatens your existence is no longer a brother.
A strong border protection force is needed to save Assam from these
marauders. An indefinite road blockage of Nagaland through Assam is a
good step in this direction.

JS

 From Assam Tribune Ediorial

Criminal, Cowardly
Armed Naga marauders are in a habit of attacking villages in upper
Asom because they know it well how ill-equipped the Asom police is in
pushing them back to Nagaland, and how well-equipped and powerful
they indeed are in comparison to the Asom police — backed as they are
by the NSCN(I-M). Thursday’s attack on the three villages — Sonapur,
Dhekiajuri and Borholla — under Geleki police station in Sivasagar
district is in fact a pointer to the increasing confidence of the
Naga encroachers who are hell-bent on realizing the dream of a
greater Nagaland. The inspiration for that comes from the NSCN(I-M)
that still believes that the Government of India would finally
concede to its demand for a greater Nagaland comprising large areas
of Asom, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh. So as the Naga marauders
attack villages in Asom in a criminal and cowardly show of strength,
they know the kind of homework they are doing at the behest of Naga
militants who are otherwise said to be in a ceasefire mode with the
Government of India — and hence who are expected to follow the
ceasefire guidelines.
The commanding officer of the 1st Assam Police Battalion based at
Ligeripukhuri in Sivasagar district, A Kuddus, has been quoted as
saying that Thursday’s carnage by the Nagas in the three villages of
the district was a ‘‘planned’’ one. Two questions are in order, then.
If the Nagas are so given to carrying out ‘‘planned’’ attacks in
upper Asom — instances galore — what stops the Asom police from
planning a strategy, rightly contributed to by intelligence inputs,
to counter the Naga design in full might? Its lack of training and
expertise in dealing with such situations? Its stock of outdated
arsenal? Or is it that the Asom police is afraid of confronting the
Naga encroachers and their inspiration — the NSCN(I-M)? Secondly, and
this follows from the first, what then stops the Asom Government from
readying a police force capable of protecting the defenceless
villagers in the areas in the State bordering Nagaland? A diversion
to the security of the ordinary masses from the security at the
disposal of our ministers — the so-called VVIPs with red lights atop
their cars followed by a cavalcade well beyond anyone’s imagination
in a functioning democracy — may contribute a bit towards ensuring
safety to ordinary lives in the areas in question.
Equally important is the fact that the Asomiyas, who have full faith
in the Constitution of India, are being left at the mercy of the
ULFA’s terror tactics, the illegal Bangladeshis who have even
encroached on the sattra land, and the Nagas now who are out to grab
the land of innocent villagers in the State by terrorizing them. Is
the Consitution then protecting us? More important, does Asom’s most
powerful ‘representative’, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, realize
the gravity of the situation in his ‘adopted’ State? Let him now
prove his commitment to the people of Asom!