[Assam] Letter to the Sentinel

kamal deka kjit.deka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:22:24 PDT 2007

 Last updated : SUNDAY 8 JULY 2007

*Foreign Investors in Asom?*
It is otherwise a welcome augury that we now have a list of foreign
investors from the US, including NRIs, that Asom Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
has claimed to have won over during his visit to the US. Some people are
wondering whether US President George Bush, given the 'prior information'
about Gogoi's visit, had already asked those investors to think of trying
their luck in Asom!
Think also of this. What might be Gogoi's response if Bush had wanted to
know a bit about Asom? Bush would ask Gogoi: ''Do you have proper roads?''
Gogoi would say: ''We do have, and we shall improve them.'' Bush would ask:
''Do you have infrastructure?'' Gogoi would say: ''It's improving.'' Bush
would ask: ''Electricity?'' Gogoi would say: ''Yeah, but we shall improve
that too.'' Bush would continue: ''Law and Order? We hear of violence
there.'' Gogoi would be in his characteristic self: ''Oh no problem! That
will improve. You know, after Dr Ram's case, you will see all that...
absolute law and order. Just send your investors.''
Bush would ask Gogoi so many things because he was aware of the fact that it
was America's own capital that the Asom Chief Minister was eyeing — for
investment in the State. To all the queries, Gogoi would have just one thing
to say: ''It will improve.'' Remember, it will improve! Yes, 'will' and
'improve'.
Take it lightly. But what if a Bush-Gogoi interaction had really taken
place?
Meanwhile, as Gogoi would have it, those investors really believe the words
— 'will' and 'improve'!
Himangshu Kashyap,
Ulubari, Guwahati-7