[Assam] Fwd: [asom] Assam Convention 2007 - Boston : Comments

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 15:36:44 PDT 2007

"M. Hazarika" <mhazarika at yahoo.com> wrote: To: "Assamonline" <assamonline at yahoogroups.com>
From: "M. Hazarika" <mhazarika at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:25:34 -0500
Subject: [asom] Assam Convention 2007 - Boston : Comments

 Notes on Assam Convention 2007
---------------------------------
Congratulations to Boston Host Committee

Kabita Das

Congratulations to Boston Host Committee on a job extremely well done!

Below are two write-ups that I received Rahul kalita and Aabir das.  I also agree with the e-mail that Mr. Sharma received which he summarized in his e-mail about the highlights and the first-evers.  In addition to everything, I personally was impressed by the high tech stage, can not imagine the efforts it took to synchronize the live performances with the backdrop - for example Anirbaan Das' song on rain (barasun) with raindrops streaming down a window, Star Spangled Banner on the electric guiter with the US flag and fire works display, the resounding welcome for the cultural program with the ensemble of Indian classical instruments and for the fashion show - just amazing!   It was like being in an IMAX theater  topped by live performances in the foreground.  These types of shows may happen when Amitabh Bacchan performs but the credit goes to you for making it happen for the Assamese community.

A friend told me that most Indian newspapers Times of India, Hindustan Times and a couple more mention CM's visit to NY and Boston.

---------------------------------

>From Aabir Das

We arrived at the Boston Hyatt Regency in Cambridge, MA on Friday, June 30th, 2007 and upon entering the lobby, we suddenly became immersed into a mini Assam.  The sights and sounds reminded us of the home we left behind.  The official duration of the convention was from Saturday July 1st to Sunday July 2nd, 2007.  However, most of the guests from out of state came to Cambridge on Friday night.

Saturday morning began with tea, coffee, and various Assamese sweets provided by the Boston Host Committee which we all thoroughly enjoyed.  That was followed by an Indian lunch and an afternoon filled with catching up with old friends and making new ones.  The setting for Saturday night’s dinner was served in the rooftop ballroom overlooking the scenic Charles River and the historic baseball stadium Fenway Park.   Saturday night’s scrumptious meal consisted of a traditional North Indian meal.  The cultural program on Sat. night was mainly devoted to the children of our community and was held in the same roof top ballroom.  The night concluded with melodious Bihu-huria geets sung by Malabika Bora, one of our featured guest artists from Assam.

Sunday morning began with a wholesome breakfast, followed by the general body meetings of the three sponsoring organization of the convention, the Assam Association of North America (AANA), the Asom Sayita Sabha of North America (ASSNA) and the Assam Foundation of North America (AFNA).  The AFNA meeting was graced by the Hon. Congressman. McGovern whose constituency includes the city of Cambridge, MA, the site of this year’s convention.

Following the meetings, a very tasty vegetarian South Indian lunch (idli, dosa, vera, tamarind rice, lemon rice) was served on the patio outside the hotel inside of a white roofed tent.

The early afternoon on Sunday was filled with people laughing and having a good time amid family and friends and this time also allowed new members of the community to mingle and become acquainted with the existing Assamese community in North America.

At 4PM, a Fashion show displaying ladies wearing traditional Assamese silk (mugha, ari and pat) along with traditional jewelry (gam karu, etc.) along with the gentlemen wearing dhoti and panjabi was organized by Jupitora Das of Harrisburg, PA.  The Fashion show was fully enjoyed by all.

The Fashion show was followed by a wonderful dinner which consisted of goat curry, puri, salad, muri gonto and masor tenga which was one of the best meals ever served at any convention.

After dinner, the entire community was treated to the adult cultural program which took place on the evening of Sunday, July 2nd.  We were enthralled by the amazing voice of Anirbaan Das, who is a world-renowned ghazal singer who wowed the British House of Lords with his melodious voice.  In addition, the talent of our North American community was fully showcased on Saturday night.  The night ended at 1:30 AM early Monday morning with everyone thoroughly satisfied with the Assam Convention 2008.

---------------------------------
The Assam Convention: A Youth's Perspective

Rahul Kalita

Coming to my twelfth or so Assamese convention was a particularly memorable experience.  As usual, the convention provided time to reconnect with friends and family, explore Cambridge and Boston, and dine with 300+ people with a great view of the Charles river.  Most importantly though, it was a chance to embrace my culture through music, dance, and this year, politics.  The Chief Minister of Assam, Tarun Gogoi and other key members of the Assamese government held a panel discussion about investment in Assam.  From the perspective of an American-born Assamese, I saw this as the culmination of our cultural strength in America.  To have such a key member of our state come to the US significantly increased the legitimacy of our organization.  Assamese, both young and old, asked questions about Assam's current and future state to the CM.  (I need a sentence here about the CM answering our questions candidly).

Transition:

Other highlights of the convention included the children's cultural show, with both 2nd and 3rd generation participants doing Bihu and Bhangra dances, playing musical instruments, and singing Assamese songs.  The fashion show made its return and provided entertainment for all those in house.  As usual, the adult cultural show was top notch, and with an Indian style buffet that included Masor Tenga and Muri Ghanta, who could complain?  I come to the Assamese conventions for the people, the culture, and the Masor Tenga, but I also come so that for one weekend I don't say I am Indian; rather I say I am Assamese.

             __._,_.___                                                 Messages in this topic           (1)                                          Reply           (via web post)           |                     Start a new topic
                                 Messages               |    Files               |    Photos               |    Links               |    Database               |    Polls                        |    Calendar

                 Visit Your Group         |                Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use       |                Unsubscribe

                                                 Recent Activity

           8
       New Members

           1