[Assam] Naga attacks on Assam

Jyotirmoy Sharma jsharma at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 7 18:11:23 PDT 2007

>> We(Assam) have been at the receiving end all the time.
>

> *** OK, can we ask who the villains might be? I have an idea, but
> let us get it clearly stated.

What I meant was about Assam losing territory to our neighbouring
state. The villains are our elected representatives. Can't hold India
responsible for that. We have a habit of blaming the country for all
our ills. We forget that Assam has been cheated by it's own people.

> *** OK, since I am uneducated about Naga ethics, I will go along
> with the verdict.  So, does it mean therefore that Assam ought to
> react the same way and declare that Nagas quit Assam  too? And if
> done, who will enforce the notice?

I have already stated that a tit for tat response will spell
disaster. AASU has done good by calling for an economic blockage of
Nagaland. This will ensure that Nagaland Govt, NSF and NSCN cannot
take Assamese for granted. I am sure that the above groups including
the Assam Govt/AASU would finally have to sit down together. Our
position should be clear and concise- that Assam's land is not for
sale or for forcible annexation.

>> ---but we must do whatever is necessary to protect our people.
This includes raising a border protection force by Assam Police. Ok
forgetting past records, I don't think why this is an impossibility.
After all a whole task force was created by Tamil Nadu and Karnataka
to nab sandalwood smuggler Veerapan.
I would hate to think of the idea of having to arm Assamese villagers
along the border.

> ** Are they expected to be sociologists too? And if they are, as
> implied, what do they know about Assam problems or Assamese
> aspirations? But they treat Assam as their 'poitrik xompotti' and
> do not hesitate to gun down Assamese merely on suspicion of being a
> 'terrorist', don't they? Is that acceptable?*
Killing of innocent people is not acceptable - not by the BSF/CRPF or
any other group.