[Assam] Immigration policy

kamal deka kjit.deka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:20:25 PDT 2007

First thing first.As a sovereign country, the USA has every right to be
bristling with prejudices as far as immigration policy is concerned.They should
not be criticized for being harsh with the potential immigrants.However,family
reunification programme has been the cornerstone for the past few
decades.Ican think of three reasons as to why legal immigrants should
be allowed to
reunite with their families.

First,a permanent class of legal immigrants who are constantly told ,their
labor is welcome,but their families are not, will never be full participants
in the American dream.The Oath of Allegiance had been all about ensuring
that new Americans don't have divided loyalties.Now that will be enshrined
in law.

Families are the bedrock of American life.Recent poll shows that young
Americans identified broken families,not Iraq or global warming as their
greatest fear.What message does the White House send out about family value
when its action undercuts its sermon ?

Dr.David Ho,the Time magazine's man of the year in 1996, pioneered the use
of protease inhibitors to treat HIV-infected patients.Thousands and
thousands of Americans now have new lease on life,thanks to him.He came to
the USA at the age of 12 from Taiwan to reunite with his father.

My point is that the legal and the illegal immigrants should not be thrown
into the same pot to swim or sink.

KJD