[Assam] Fwd: Re: assam Digest, Vol 24, Issue 18 (Chan Mahanta)

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Mon Jul 9 10:02:59 PDT 2007

Hi Chitta:

Well, your surprise is a result of your not paying attention to
context, and perhaps an itch to get even for something that I might
have said that stung you, by waving the hypocrisy flag :-).

On the matter of context, if you had not noticed YET, I use the   "
--that damned English language"  sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek ( sometimes
flummoxing the unwary)  on people who indulge in spinning something
that is quite obvious  ( as if we don't know the language enough - it
being a foreign language - to notice )  OR when someone goes off on a
debate or attack  for clearly not understanding the issue ( sometimes
due to not having a reasonable knowledge of the language ) OR when
someone MISUSES English words intentionally in the pursuit of a
political point OR pretend not understand something that is pretty
simple or forthright or clear.

As a matter of principle I do not criticize, point out, make fun of
or otherwise attempt to devalue the SUBSTANCE of an argument on
account of language proficiency or lack there of. I take a very dim
view of those who do. People indulge in such tactics only because
they are unable to challenge or counter a point or offer a better one
to something that bothers them.

Also, as a matter of principle, I do not ever criticize, make fun of
or otherwise be judgmental with anyone  for honestly misunderstanding
something, either due to  language skills or  due to not paying close
attention or whatever.

There is one exception to the above rules. I am acutely aware of the
desi-proclivity for looking down on people who do not know or speak
English well and looking up to those who  do, regardless of
substance.  That is not an attitude  I subscribe to.  But  still I
advise Oxomiyas , or other people from our region to learn English
language well, so that  they can intimidate those Hindians who look
down on our folks. Because it is such an easy thing to do :-).

m-da