[Assam] mainland vs northeast in delhi

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Sat Jul 14 06:03:29 PDT 2007

I don't see anything wrong in discussing the
issue. In fact it should be discussed.

But I agree with most of the points made here. Very well said!

>. If it is true, then a Gujarati considers a
>Bihari mainstream and a Bihari considers a Tamil
>mainstream; >but they all consider us as not of
>the mainstream.

*** And what that means is that we are different.
It is a fact. We ought to be secure about it, and
not seek to be like them :-).

>  >If this basis is correct, why should we beg to
>be included in that mainstream? In that case, we
>are distinct from them as a class, because, we
>have a different/ vibrant/ rich identity, if not
>politically, then definitely culturally. And we
>are, and should be, proud of that.

*** Exactly!

>  >The only thing that remains is 'discrimnation'
>by Delhi authorities towards our boys and girls
>studying there. When the entire country pride
>itself in baring itself to the western
>influence, why our guys should be singled out
>for special treatment on the plea that certain
>rape or other untoward things happened to a few
>of them. Such things happen to lots of Delhi
>students, western or domestic tourists.

*** There is a major MYTH here, however. The
so-called 'westernization' of Indians cannot be
further from the truth. Even a very large
percentage of the so-called NRIs living in the
west  are NOT  really westernized and live
sheltered lives, divorced from the life of the
communities where they do, hopelessly attempting
to hold on to what they consider "Indian"--which,
incidentally, varies widely from one group to the
other, while each ethnic group remain largely
divorced from others from the same 'India' they
came from .   The parochialism is brutal.
Perhaps worse than what it might be in some more
pluralistic of Indian metropolitan environments.

Westernization in India is, at best, a mindless
copy of the most superficial of traits of what is
considered 'western', usually as created by
Bollywood or as registered from fleeting images
on the internet today.

>The only thing that remains is 'discrimnation'
>by Delhi authorities towards our boys and girls
>studying >there.

*** It really is a manifestation of the attitude
that pervades the general Indian outlook: That
numbers rule. My way or the highway.  While it
argued that it is an universal human trait, the
difference lies in  to recognize the rights of
the numerical minorities, protecting them with
FUNCTIONING  institutions of state:
Constitutional safeguards backed up with law
enforcement, and effective conflict resolution
mechanisms, like courts of law.

>The entire question thus boils down to one
>point: whether Delhi authorities should
>presecribe dress >code or should gear
>themselves up to provide safeguard
>to the people---dressed, undressed or >scantily
>dressed, without discrimination?

*** Exactly!

>I believe, we should tell them to mind their
>business and not waste our own time and
>energy on this >issue.

*** Here I differ. Unless it is discussed, people
will remain uneducated about its, and so will
its ramifications.  Indian intelligentsia's
absence from dealing with these issues is the
reason they remain operative.