[Assam] Of Hostage Crisis and Counter - Sentinel Letter

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Fri Jul 20 08:05:13 PDT 2007

Welcome back Ram,

You agreed with me?  And with Kamal too ?  I knew we are together on
things :-).

But seriously,

>But then, just because some may see cops and administration
>officials as being incompetent, there >does seem to some sort of
>cheering from certain quarters of the galleries for kidnappers and
>of course >blaming the whole thing on the cops.

*** Don't you think these are two separate issues?

Yes, I am sure there are those who are pleased, in fact re-assured,
of the police's utter incompetency.  Like all of what passes for
government's too.

And there are ALSO those, who must bee reeling, cringing, beside
themselves. For having to put up with them, relying upon their
ability to protect them, to serve the cause of their society's
justice.

But does the former neutralize the latter? Make it null and void?

>But generally speaking, if,  in the end, it is found out that the
>police were involved or played foul in >some way or that they were
>incompetent - they ought to get the punishments and reprimands
>they >rightly deserve.

*** I knew we could depend on your sense of fairness, righteousness
and justice Ram.  And even though I cannot see like George Bush does,
into Putin's heart, thru his eyes; I knew your heart is in the right
place.  However I wonder,sometimes, where your mind is :-).

How do you expect to "--- get the punishments and reprimands they
rightly deserve" ? When was the last time you saw anything like that
? Where in Assam or where in India? And why do you single out the
hapless, clueless , untrained, poorly paid, incompetently led, police
ONLY for what goes on? Are they the ONLY ones to be blamed?

This is where I understand where Kamal comes from.  And I am serious.

>---- moral compasses be damned.

*** I tell ya Ram! That is a market, wide open to be tapped. It will
be hotter than cellphones.  If I were a bidnessman, I would hire
Garmin to make low-cost, hand-held, GPS guided moral compasses and
market them to that billion of humanity foundering, directionless in
that land of the mother of all morals.

c-da :-)