[Assam] Dress Code - Blame the Victim

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 11:32:01 PDT 2007

I agree that NE students should not targetted - as Delhi Police guy has shone in his biased letter -esp about food , clothes etc.

It would be interesting to know if there is research which shows that female attire and appearance has NO effect on male psyche.

Umesh

Ram Sarangapani <assamrs at gmail.com> wrote: Here is a letter from the Sentinel. Yesterday, there were a few others on the same subject, ie. the Delhi Police dress code for NE students.

 While most of would agree that the Delhi Police is basically off on a tangent and possibly showing its ignorance and rather discriminatory attitude toward NE students, I am quite surprised how many are willing (including the author below) to blame the victim here (instead of the perpetrator) for such crimes. Is the victim contributing to the crime?

 "Those tight and revealing clothes were then worn only by those who would invite the lusty crowd........."

 I really wonder, how something like this would fly in the US in a rape/molestation case? Would the perpetrator get a pass because a certain 'societal dress code' wasn't followed? Would the victim be blamed first for not conforming.

 It is totally a different matter where a society may have certain expectations of decency and dress codes. IMHO, we must be careful in making a cause and effect relationship between how a person is dressed and crimes committed.
  If we did, how different would that make us from the Delhi Police?

 There are umpteen research out there to show sex crimes are in no way related to how scantily a person is dressed.
 Maybe the burquas would do the trick (ie. keeping the "lusty crowd" at bay :):)

 --Ram

 ____________________

 Decent Dress Sense
Apropos the letter entitled ''Of Dress Code'' (The Sentinel, July 18, 2007) by Salil Gewali, I personally join in the chorus to condemn the discriminating attitude of the Delhi Police authorities against students from the Northeast. The Northeast has been much neglected and underestimated, for which I hold the governments, both at the Centre and in the States, responsible.
However, what Salil Gewali has said through his letter is totally correct as far as the 'modern' immodest dressing style is concerned, which is fast corrupting our society. Why have the kinds of dresses that were considered very indecent and sexually appealing, now become so normal, and why are we allowing our children to wear them? Could we ever imagine our children in those body-hugging outfits a decade ago? Those tight and revealing clothes were then worn only by those who would invite the lusty crowd.
Has not the present indecent fashion trend been sexually desensitizing us? Just a kissing scene was so appealing some years back, while a semi-clad sultry siren doing an item number now fails to excite the audience. Why so? Is it not because we have abused the sex-feeling too much and, therefore, lost its appeal? Is it not a perverse trend?
Samir Bora,
Shillong-4

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C.