[Assam] From St. Louis Post Dispatch

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Mon Jul 23 06:25:51 PDT 2007

Jonah Goldberg is a die-hard HAWK, who was an unashamed fan of
Bush-Cheney's Iraq invasion, which I am certain ( from reading his
columns now and then over the years)  had a lot to do with his
concerns for Israel's interests, sometimes well camouflaged,
sometimes overt. Of late he has found religion, and has asked some
highly pertinent questions, like in the piece below. Highlighting
mine.

But he still doers not quite get it. In spite of the pertinent (
albeit obvious)  questions he raises here, he has not given up
spinning, as one can see in the closing paragraph.

Can anyone guess why I call it spinning?

And do netters see how the questions he raises apply to the
desi-demokrasy and its fans ?

cm

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/columnists.nsf/jonahgoldberg/story/99ADCFC1C9E9DA738625731F00019A07?OpenDocument

The first order of business is ... order
By Jonah Goldberg

07/23/2007

"My biggest hope for Iraq is that, when you find yourself in a
courtroom in Iraq, it will be about what you did and not who you
are," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said on PBS's "NewsHour" this week.

Well, it's about four years late but nonetheless encouraging to hear
prominent supporters of the Iraq project (the phrase "Iraq war"
really doesn't do the trick) getting their talking points right.

Americans are great at talking about how wonderful democracy is. The
right to vote is taught as a sacrament from grade school up.
Politicians can talk a mile a minute about how wonderful elections
are for much the same reason salesmen at a Ford dealership can talk a
blue streak about how great Fords are: It's their livelihood. Spend
your career trolling for votes and you're apt to be able to explain
why votes are the most important thing in the world.

But Americans don't believe, not really, that voting is the most
important thing in the world. For starters, if they believed such
nonsense, they'd vote more.

No, Americans like exercising plenty of other rights more than their
right to vote. The right to speak your mind, own property, associate
with whomever you like, be compensated for the fruits of your labor:
these and other rights are plainly more dear to Americans than the
right to pull a lever every two or four years. Obviously, Americans
would care if anyone proposed taking away their right to vote. But as
a matter of common sense, voting is less important to us than those
rights and liberties that make our God-given right to pursue
happiness possible. Ultimately, voting is a means to an end, not an
end in itself.

Lest we forget, democracy shorn of these other rights is no less
tyrannical than dictatorial rule. "An elective despotism was not the
government we fought for," Thomas Jefferson wrote in "Notes on the
State of Virginia." He recognized that parliaments and congresses do
not a free country make: "173 despots would surely be as oppressive
as one. Let those who doubt it turn their eyes on the republic of
Venice."

In one sense, I don't blame the Bush administration for making
elections in Iraq an early priority. There really is no universally
recognized symbol of liberation from tyranny other than free
elections. And I celebrated alongside everyone else at the sight of
those purple thumbs. But without the foundations of a liberal order -
rule of law, fair courts, property rights, relatively uncorrupt civil
service - democratic elections are an exercise in futility. Indeed,
they're terrifying to minorities like the Sunnis because they seemed
a harbinger of oppression at the hands of the long-oppressed Shiites.

When looting beset Baghdad in 2003, then-Secretary of Defense Don
Rumsfeld shrugged "freedom is untidy," as if rioting is part and
parcel of democracy (a view shared by some on the hard left in
America, by the way). That was the height of nonsense and sent
exactly the wrong message. Rioting and looting scares those democracy
needs most: the hard-working entrepreneurial middle class.
Historically, democracy arrives when the bourgeoisie gets big and
strong enough to demand honest government. The very poor often like
demagogues (just look at Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez), and the very
rich don't care much about fighting against corruption or for
accountable government because in unfree societies they tend to
profit from both.

It's the small businessman, the shopkeeper or tradesman, who wants to
feel secure in his property and contracts. He wants to know, as
Lindsey Graham says, that he can get a fair shake from a judge. If,
down the road, he gets to vote for his preferred politician, that's
wonderful. But it's not the first priority.

In Iraq, security isn't merely the most important thing, it's the
only thing. Without security, nothing else is possible. "The good
society is marked by a high degree of order, justice and freedom,"
Russell Kirk wrote in "The Roots of American Order." "Among these,
order has primacy: For justice cannot be enforced until a tolerable
civil social order is attained, nor can freedom be anything better
than violence until order gives us laws."

Which is why Democratic talk about how "political solutions" are more
necessary than military ones and President Bush's ornate rhetoric
about the "universality of freedom" are so irrelevant, even
counterproductive. The Arab world doesn't have a great grasp of what
democracy is, but it does have a keen sense of justice and order. One
significant reason we're having such trouble selling Iraqis on the
former is that they were really in the market for the latter.

E-mail: JonahsColumn at aol.com.