[Assam] Flushing out in election style

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Wed Jul 25 01:13:08 PDT 2007

At 9:19 AM -0600 7/24/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
>The intial "gripe" was the method of garnering votes, but as
>expected, the argument invariably goes to whether successive
>governments have brought change.

*** Aah yes! No fair. If only people could stick to the parts of the
issues that are helpful to advance one's own political/religious/or
ideological agenda, we could get a whole lot more done, couldn't we
:-)?

But as thinking people should we NOT ask that question? Are they NOT related?

It should not cause any discomfiture if an acceptable answer could be
found, should it?

>If we look at the first part about busing voters to the booth
>(basically influencing or buying votes), that kind of thing happens
>everywhere. It is more sophisticated in the US. In the past
>presidential election, there were many churches that played a vital
>role in basically influencing their flocks to vote the "Christian
>way".
>But in the end - the voter decides both in India as well as the US.

*** Yes indeed, the voter does decide! But WHAT?  How do Indian
voters' actions have helped advance their causes? It has nothing to
do with what US voters do or how they do it, UNLESS we also compare
its results. Is the US rudderless, stuck in a quagmire like India is?

Just look at the recent cause of consternation--the state of the
'policiary'  and the  ToI piece I posted yesterday.  Was it a deep
dark Indian secret, heretofore unknown  to mere mortals, until their
supreme lordships, educated from having read the papers, let it be
known? Question is what will come of it? I know *I* , unlike
desi-seers, cannot predict the future, but based on past experience
and present plans we can make some informed conjectures, couldn't
we?  What would that be?

The fact is, that the US is not the standard by which India needs to
operate. It needs to operate in ways to help advance its causes,
under its own circumstances and responding to its needs.

Like two hard-line right wingers , one from the US -- Jonah Godberg,
and one from India - Arun Shourie, finally have realized that
elections are merely a process for selecting the crew to run the ship
of state. But if it chooses an incompetent, or ill-equipped crew and
the ship's hull leaks or the sails are tattered, that ship won't be
going any place any time soon.

>  >Right!. And who is going to educate them in the art of voting on issues.
>  >There are several choices, offhand. Install a dictator (or a bunch
>of people with firepower). They can >dictate how people ought to
>vote.
>Or, we could send over a couple of friends from around here. They
>could teach those caste-ridden >Indians to replace caste with
>Christian (moral) values. :) :)

*** Are these the best choices we can imagine? If so  that would
place the finger of responsibility right there: That those who are
expected to be ABLE, the ranks of the best of desi-intelligentsia as
represented by its NRI  standard bearers , are obviously clueless and
the resulting state of affairs.

Or perhaps that is not really the case, that they really are NOT
clueless, but are apathetic, uninvolved and dogged by a sense of
failures over generations.

Or they can't care less, as long as they can take care of their own
needs and wave that to the world to get a little respect, never mind
what  happens to the rest.

Or perhaps other reasons?

>Lastly, C'da, the intelligentsia do vote. Or else, how do you
>account for changes in Govt?

*** OK Ram, if you insist :-)! What would I know? But what I posted
is a very widely known and accepted fact. If you do a bit of due
diligence, you too will find what I only repeated.

>Changes would happen faster, if there wern't a some groups who
>seem more interested in tearing >down whatever foundations of
>democracy that exist right now (for their own personal/political
>agenda) >than building a stronger India.

*** I see! So changes are thwarted by them terrorists, is it? Tsk,
tsk! How terrible!!

But from what I hear, it is the other way round Ram: That those who
seek to get the heck out from Indian
controls are, for one reason, because they have had it up-to here
with Indian misrule, of remaining mired in its own excreta, unable to
change.