[Assam] what is Inner Line Permit of Arunancal Pradesh

Jyotirmoy Sharma jsharma at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 26 04:46:35 PDT 2007

Umesh, are you from the North East India?
If you are then you would have known that ILP is a kind of
restriction introduced in tribal states like Mizoram, AP, Nagaland
(maybe) to prevent non-tribals from entering their state in large
numbers and establish business, buy land etc. This has been done
since ages. So it is a permit for 'outsiders' to enter the state for
a short period for whatever reasons. It is only Assam that anyone and
everyone is welcomed and thus have become a dumping ground for all.
This whole issue of illegal migration from B'desh stinks. Our Assam
leaders are adopting these refugees as 'sons of the soil'. Funny
isn't it? Someone declared Bangladeshi in AP and Nagaland can become
genuine residents when they cross the border.
It will be wishful thiinking if we were to think that our leaders
( AGP-makes noise only when not the ruling party, Congress- adopted
the refugees, BJP?? ..)  will have the guts to proclaim the hordes of
people coming in from AP and Nagaland as "Bangladeshis". It's in the
news that these people have been allocated refuge in BTC by the Govt.
It is only the timely action of Bodo and Rajbonshi leaders who have
served quit notices to them. AASU must learn from the AAPSU and NSF
that mere demonstrations, bandhs, conferences wouldn't work. These
people have to be driven out. It is a pity that we have some people
amongst us who refuse to see the Bangladeshi menace as a problem.
Notice how the groups vowing to be fighting for the Assamese people's
rights are always silent on this issue. WHY???

JS