[Assam] Who is the Sentinel of Freedom?

xourov pathok xourov at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 07:06:05 PDT 2007

--- Dilip/Dil Deka <dilipdeka at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The answer is in your own email - border districts
> and a full blown investigation.

dilip-da, i cannot speak for you.

> The drive needs to
> be against the officials in the border districts who
> according to you issue fake papers.
>   As for a long term solution to the problem of
> illegal Bangladeshi mass migration, there is none.
> Some reprieve could be gained if the political
> parties stop taking advantage of it and the locals
> stop providing means of livelihood to the
> immigrants.

do you think this position has any feasibility?  that
we just ask the political parties to behave.  and they
will do so on their own volition?

let us face it.  there are many in assam who benefit
from these immigrations.  they get votes, or small
bribes.  or cheap labor.

as i see it, the "assamese" have missed the boat.
they tried negotiating with the government via the
assam agitation and they failed.  the next phase is
ethnic based, where the individual groups will protect
their small pockets or turfs.  the arunachalis, the
nagas and the bodos in assam.  and from the look of
it, they are probably not too keen on negotiating with
the government.  what this will lead to, i don't know.

>   Tell me why Assam did not see mass migration till
> the 1930's and that may explain many things.

the migration began in 1905, when the british settled
cultivators from mymensingh to increase
production---and colonial revenue.

from what i gather, the immigration is no longer from
mymensingh exclusively, and that there are, in fact,
many different kinds of immigrations.  they bring to
assam many different demographic characteristics.
while some mix well with the locals, others don't.

there are many today who come as fishermen, who do not
settle but go back.  they are much better fishermen
than the local ones.