[Assam] Who is the Sentinel of Freedom?

Dilip/Dil Deka dilipdeka at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 07:56:43 PDT 2007

I can see you are trying to steer the discussion to the same issues that you are so fond of and have discussed here so many times - that India has totally failed and Assam will be better off by opting out of India.
  On your email below - All of your allegations are valid, not always but in many instances. India is still experimenting with democracy and there are successes and there are failures. You see only the failures and never look for the successes. I look for the successes with the failures. The failures do not justify the cry for Assam's separation from India.
  Democracy in India, though not perfect, has augmented equality for people and provided power to the masses as evidenced in the recent election in UP and previous elections in W. Bengal and other places. Despite many flaws, India will survive and flourish.
  Dilip

Chan Mahanta <cmahanta at charter.net> wrote:
        >The drive needs to be against the officials in the border districts who according to you issue fake >papers.

  *** It is not about what Xourov thinks. But about the realities of Assam and Indian governance. Do you have any opinion on that? Do you for example believe that fake papers are or can be issued? Do you believe widespread talk that the BSF personnel routinely let people in from B'desh for a small fee?

  Now then, unless you do not believe that corrupt practices of government personnel have been instrumental to proliferation of illegal  B'deshi migration, you also need to reconcile it with your faith in the governments of deshi-demokrasy led by those who were elected by the savvy voters. And if these savvy voters who routinely throw out the non-performing ones and elect a new slate ( or more precisely
  play Round Robin-- or revolving door- by letting the same non-performers back into power again and again), never make an ISSUE of the problem, is it therefore:

          A: Figment of bigoted imaginations concocted by the caste-Oxomiyas and further inflamed
          by the BJP, VHP and others like them?

          B: Another exemplary  problem of Indian governance: One in which it is more important to
          hold on to political power -- thru vote banking -- than to resolve societal issues, namely
          corruption, mismanagement and unresponsiveness ?

          C: That voting/election has nothing to do with issues? That it is a yet another desi-ritual
          to sanctify what is an obvious national scandal?

          D: Some or all of the above or something else?

  *** If you agree that there ought to be investigations, and the guilty brought to book, what has held successive governments, elected by savvy voters,  back from undertaking any such thing?

  *** And if you think it should be undertaken, but the savvy voters have failed to get any action; what would your recommendation be for those whose angst filled wails resound thru the sentinels of freedom
  and watchdogs of democracy's pages  in Assam?

  Can't wait to see which way the wagging finger points :-).

  At 6:28 AM -0700 7/26/07, Dilip/Dil Deka wrote:
  The answer is in your own email - border districts and a full blown investigation. The drive needs to be against the officials in the border districts who according to you issue fake papers.  As for a long term solution to the problem of illegal Bangladeshi mass migration, there is none. Some reprieve could be gained if the political parties stop taking advantage of it and the locals stop providing means of livelihood to the immigrants.  Tell me why Assam did not see mass migration till the 1930's and that may explain many things.  Dilipda

xourov pathok <xourov at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Dilip/Dil Deka wrote:

> " He asked what you will do about these people who
> will produce the papers and will be let go by the
> police." --
> If you are talking about those who have valid
> papers (I assume that's what you mean by "who will
> produce papers") to prove they have the right to
> remain in India, the police has to release them and
> let them resettle wherever they want to.

the principles are clear enough. but what would you
do if the "valid" papers were obtained via bribes in
border districts? you know how pervasive bribes are.
would you press for a full blown investigation? which
would be very costly involving many man-hours? or
would you just let matters be, and let the police
release those under detention?