[Assam] Math First: Harvard & UVa study on college science success

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Sat Jul 28 05:53:21 PDT 2007

At 8:35 PM -0700 7/27/07, Dilip/Dil Deka wrote:
>I guess you have not met too many of the graduate engineers from
>India recently. Many of them ( not too many)  are very capable of
>solving engineering problems using the modern tools that are
>available these days. it is especially true in chemical engineering
>and control systems engineering where it requires math skills as
>well as a good understanding of the basic physical problem.

*** I am not speaking of software writing skills. Not to devalue it.
But software engineering is only ONE of a variety of engineering
disciplines that have been at the forefront of human civilization.
The most significant  innovations that have  changed the quality of
human lives   were results of creative engineering much before
software writing emerged. Can you cite India's contributions to it?

>However when it comes to the 30,000 ft level, to solve India's flood
>and drought problem and India's food storage and distribution
>problem etc. - I don't think the engineers in India are being
>creative enough to tackle the problem at the roots.

*** Why do you think it is so? Is it because they have no talent,
emerged out of the wrong gene pools?
Or something else?

>  Back to your email - no undergraduate engineering school (not even
>in USA) prepares a student to be truly creative. A few more years in
>grad school does.

***  That must have been a slip of the pen--I mean typing finger. I
also realize it was late in the evening :-). The truth is that
creative thinking begins not in grad. school, but in high school and
even earlier.  Obviously you have not  paid any attention to what
American high school kids generate as engineering or scientific
projects. It is not accidental that these kids produce mind-blowing
stuff -- they are spotted, nurtured, encouraged and supported to
produce the trail-blazing engineers and scientists of tomorrow.

And even if we were to accept the notion that creativity in
engineering comes about only after a few years of grad. school, what
have we seen as results of all the engineering grad. schools from
India that have contributed to changing India's lot, never mind about
human civilization?

Finally, can you cite the ways in which YOU were challenged,
nurtured, encouraged to be CREATIVE in YOUR undergraduate engineering
training in India?  And how does that compare with your graduate
training in the USA?

>I was surprised to see that you are talking about  "something Indian
>engineering schools rarely help develop" which goes to show that you
>are still thinking Indian for Assam in your unguarded moments.

*** Different issues. Just because I am a supporter of Assam's right
to take charge of its own affairs, does not mean I have to pretend
that the Indian system does not exist and does not operate in Assam.

:-)