[Assam] reply to Chan Mahanta

ranenkumar goswami goswamiranenkr at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jul 29 07:24:00 PDT 2007

Dear Mr Mahanta,
It is very reassuring to know that you detest
character assissination with innuendo. In fact, what I
wrote was in reply to what MC Mahanta said in reaction
to my forwarding of Rupam Baruah's article. Please
have a look at what he wrote:

"Mr Gorswami
You are supposed to be a moulder of PEOPLES' minds.
You get amply remunerated for that.
Try doing just that  in assamnet."

If is not character assassination with innuendo, then
what is? You can see, from my end it was only return
fire. The barrage of fire you have released in his
defence suggests it somehow hurt you too.

I have already heard about you. Dainik Janasadharan
reporter Chaya Bhuyan speaks highly of you. She had
met you while on a visit to the United States. My
friend Hiten Mahanta, a columnist with Asomiya Khabar,
says he read an interview which left him highly
impressed. From other sources I have come to know that
you are a younger brother of famous and highly
respected urologist Dr Ranen Mahanta. And I know that
you know Mukul Mahanta very very well.

Your message is clear. In Assamnet, you decide who is
Assam's friend and who is her foe. Thank God, it's
Assamnet only, and not Assam itself. Because Assam
belongs as much to me as it to you, where even
gun-wielding "revolutionaries" have so far failed to
arbitrarily decide who is Assam's fiend and who is her
foe and where we never allow bullets to bully our
conscience.

 You talked about my "protective instincts towards
unarmed civilians". Fine. I am proud of that stand.
Your protective instincts are reserved for the armed
ones, who you will not disagree, are called insurgents
in today's Assam. Insurgency is a war declared against
the State. From your assertion, I have to equate
insurgents with unarmed civilians who are not in a
state of war against the State. Insurgents and the
State are locked in a war. Why drag those who are not
a party to the conflict and why kill them? From your
logic, I must understand that you declare war against
the State, but the State must not retaliate. Can these
"revolutionaries"  say like NSCN-IM leader Muivah
does, "We have never killed our own people"? Your
views about the armed ones resemble a group of people
here in Assam who call themselves human rights
activists; for whom only these "armed ones" have human
rights while their victims have none.

And illegal migrants? Here you have insinuated about
my caste and RAW. Of course, it's a relief to know you
detest Islamophobia, which is officially promoted in
the country you reside and its allies. The Haneef case
in Australia is the latest example. I am a small fry
and not known to you. But you know Dr Hiren Gohain
whose secular credientials do not need any
demonstrative assertion. He wrote in The Economic and
Political Weekly (March 24-30, 2007), "No one would
care to agree with the view in some quarters that
there had been no serious infiltration. While there
have indeed been gross atrocities against innocent
Muslim citizens, it is difficult to deny the fact that
five districts of Assam today show a preponderantly
immigrant Muslim population." Well,  would you brand
him a proponent of Hindutwa?

Yet thank you very much for welcoming me to Assamnet
though it was more with fire than flowers. But in the
effortless flow of your English and your fire I find
the fragrance and warmth of flowers. Hope to hear more
from you, if my intended association with Assamnet
survives your judgement. With regards,

Ranen Kumar Goswami,
Santipur Hillside, Guwahati-781009

N. B. I do not have computer at home. I have to go to
other places to access the Net. So I cannot reply
immediately. It might take time.

      Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html