[Assam] US Internship: Resume & Cover letter tips

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 10:55:13 PDT 2007

I sent it to a student of mine - some AssaMNetters might find it useful

-------------------------------

Dear  ,

You must have checked the recent emails asking for your resume - by two people - both in New York . One has just completed his intersnhip with an architecture firm in Manhattan (New York) and will be leaving for Delhi School of Planning and Architecture shortly (Sidhharth B) and other by my school friend a lawyer in NYC - Kirtee  - he used to stay in Ambabari and was later in Delhi Univ also with me.

Here are a few tips about resume :see weblinks. I am not sending my resume since I have now realized that each field has its own peculiarities and an educator's resume will not suit/mislead an architect.

I liked this one the best: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumes/l/blresumesample1.htm

Good points: it list your educational qualifications right on top. See that your address is mentioned right on top incl email -- no birthdate is mentioned.

For cover letter/statement of purpose check out:
http://content.monster.com/articles/3476/17140/1/home.aspx (of a graduate)
http://content.monster.com/articles/3476/17201/1/home.aspx (for internship)

Also this link has many tips and templates:
http://content.monster.com/samples/Archive.aspx

Do call Sidhdharth in NYC immediately or send him an email becos he might leave soon for India. Also I have an Assamese Friend Partha  whose wife is from  she told me that her cousin is in California and that she in an architect - a graduate of BEC - Bengal Engg College Kolkata - thats another lead.

PS:
I liked these as well http://content.monster.com/articles/3476/17228/1/home.aspx

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C.