[Assam] From ToI/ and from the fearless NGO Rajendra Singh

mc mahant mikemahant at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:04:21 PDT 2007

Hats off to the Ever Optimist Ram:
*
<India has a huge market,  a good workforce, and a huge expanding middle class,  something like 50% of the pop. is young.* > This is Kamal Nath kind of Spin/bait. Old Hat . Investors come only to exit with heavy killings.Result-That much loss for India.{*50% OLD?)

Look at what just came in from Rajendra Singh--- the  whistle-blowing Water-man :
If I read him right  NarendraModi is at least doing some Work. He is a HOPE!

For Rs.200 Crores Electricity; Rs. 20,000 Crores WERE LOST  when  Surat  was Flooded out
 Here is evidence of how incompetent politicians could only bring miseries for people of India.

None can deny political abilities of Gujarat Chief Minister to execute projects, fast demolish all opposition .But “Like A Misdirected Missile Could Cause Massive Self Destruction” .Check dams and river linking   -- these are 2 such Missiles.  Gujarat government  claims to have carried out “Flood Flow Experiments” .Were these before check dams were built on rivers?

[20.  By regulating the flow of flood water of Kadana & Panam projects in coordination with the Field Engineers, Collector, DDO, revenue department, more than 15 lakh cusecs of flood water is released without any damage and loss of life.]

Since losses in canal networks were huge Gujarat decided to fill up its dams for both additional power and water.

[18.  State Govt. has also revised the rule level of gated dams particularly in scarcity area for storing maximum rainwater and stop the same flowing into sea. By storing and using such flood water planning fully particularly for Ukai & kadana project hydro electricity of worth of Rs. 200 to 300 crores is generated approximately.]

In the above: Instructions were clear---“Stop Water Going waste To Sea” .And all water went in to Surat city instead.  Following that Imperious Diktat most of the check dams on all  rivers were completed in 2005 before Surat  was resultantly flooded out in 2006.

[7.  With public participation, nearly 50000 no. of check dams are constructed at a cost of Rs. 1000 cores,--- Within a short period of one year in state nearly 1,50,000 ‘Khet Talavadis’(Storage Reservoirs inside the farm limits) were constructed with public participation.]

[12.  In addition to these, Tenders for constructing more than 300 check dams on 21 rivers were also invited. From which at present works for 64 check dams are all ready started and construction of all check dams will be completed by June.05.]

Everything was designed for completion by 2005.
Ravinder Singh July28, 2007
Progressindia2007 at yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:00:37 -0600From: assamrs at gmail.comTo: cmahanta at charter.netCC: assam at assamnet.orgSubject: Re: [Assam] From ToI
C'da

>You can assert it was a pack of lies or spinning by Campbell and attribute it to  "still >drunk with the Raj.".

All you have to do is to read the UK media (even here - the Huffington Post and others). They all seem to paint a very different picture of Cambell.
Basically, they don't place too much credibility on him. He is supposedly fiercely loyal to TB and his party, has a short fuse, and is known as the "spin doctor" for a all the spinning and taking liberties with the facts.

>> And countries like India are really not that enamoured with the UK anymore
>*** I realize that is what you would like to believe. But does that explain

No, C'da, I am not saying this because its a feel-good thing. It has a lot to do with the economic clout that India and China  have acquired in recent years.
India has a huge market,  a good workforce, and a huge expanding middle class,  something like 50% of the pop. is young.

So, there is a lot of competition among many countries to get into the Indian market.
You might know, that when private airlines in India were placing orders for planes this past year, all the major producers from the US and Europe were all over the place trying to get to India's good side. Britain is just one player. And this is just one segment - now consider autos, appliances, heavy machiney, highway building contracts etc.

And that is why India is really not that enamoured with the UK because there are many other more successful and developed countries who curry India's favor.

Recently, Kamal Nath (Indian minister) was in Houston. People were extremely impressed with this sauve, well-educated, and well-balanced montry from India (and I am not talking about the desi crowd).  Many of the montries are not the 'run of the mill' type like Laloo,

There's a change afoot in India, C'da..

--Ram

n 7/30/07, Chan Mahanta <cmahanta at charter.net> wrote:

Ram:

> And countries like India are really not that enamoured with the UK anymore.

*** I realize that is what you would like to believe. But does that explain :

 "Vajpayee was on the  phone, totally adamant that if TB (Blair) went to Pakistan without
also visiting India, it would be a real disaster for him. He  (Vajpayee) was normally so quiet and soft-spoken but there was both  panic and a bit of anger in his voice".

You can assert it was a pack of lies or spinning by Campbell and attribute it to  "still drunk with the Raj.".

But would that be a credible explanation?

c-da

At 9:36 PM -0600 7/29/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da,

>Be that as it may, what I found ironic and held my nose at was >ABV's supplication ( I had to look that up -means   prayer to a higher >power, a humble request for help from someone in authority )

That is basically Cambell's take on what ABV's thought process was.  I am really surprised - people like Cambell are still drunk with the Raj. The British are not in control anymore. And countries like India are really not that enamoured with the UK anymore.

Whether we like it or not, companies from all over the world are making a beeline for India's market. You name a large company, and it has a presence in India.
As far as today's India is concerned, Britain does not matter. Its only thought of as a backdrop to its history.

--Ram