[Air-L] CFP: VIRT3C at Hull 2010 Developing the Virtual Society

Mathieu O'Neil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 26 05:16:54 PST 2009

   [Apologies for multiple posts]
   Call For Papers

   The Inaugural Interdisciplinary Conference of the Virtual
   Communication, Collaboration and Conflict (VIRT3C) Research Group at
   the University of Hull

   VIRT3C at Hull 2010 Developing the Virtual Society: Conflict in Adoption
   of Collaborative Networks

   19-20 March

   http://virt3c.wordpress.com/

   [1]Public Keynote speaker:

   Geert Lovink

   [2]Keynote speakers:

   Gabriella Coleman [Media, Culture, and Communication, NYU]

   Mathieu ONeil [Paris Sorbonne (Paris IV) & Australian National
   University]

   Our plenary theme is Developing the Virtual Society: Conflict in
   Adoption of Online Collaborative Networks. As virtual society develops,
   and peer technologies and practices pump in its heart, this conference
   brings together academics of all disciplines to discuss conflict in the
   adoption of collaborative networks. This is a time of confrontation
   between older forms of communication and organization and new ways of
   sharing, collaborating and acting collectively. We seek to explore
   conflicts emerging in the transition from, and resistance to,
   horizontal participatory networks, as well as conflict within
   collaborative networks. We welcome suggestions for panels and papers on
   any area relating to our theme, and particularly in the following
   areas:

   Network Theory
   P2P and FLOSS methodology adoption
   FLOSS methodology
   Open source conflicts and forking
   Adoption by NGOs and the developing world
   Adoption by social movements, hacktivism, cyberconflict
   Institutional resistance to networks
   Online P2P places and conflicts

   We encourage contributions, including, but not limited to, politics,
   economics, computer science, business, psychology, sociology, and law.

   With your abstract of no more than 300 words please include the
   following information:

   Name, postal address, email
   Institutional affiliation and position (if applicable)

   Please send abstracts in Word or pdf format to the organisers at
   [3]athina.k at gmail.com

   Provisional Deadline for abstracts: 15th January 2010