[Air-l] Re: Survey Methodology on the WWW

Scott_Crawford at marketstrategies.com Scott_Crawford at marketstrategies.com
Thu Nov 1 09:21:56 PST 2001

Overall... to answer these questions, one great place to start is:
Couper, Mick P. (2000) "Web Surveys:  A Review of Issues and Approaches"
Public Opinion Quarterly.  V. 64:464-494.
It includes over 60 references to other papers/presentations that cover the
topic.

But more specifically...

>1)    What are the differences between paper & pencil methods
>versus web (including but not limited to cost, design, response, etc)
I was just involved in a large scale mode experiment between web and mail.
Results are to be presented at next weeks "Higher Education Center and the
U.S. Department's 15th Annual National Meeting on Alcohol, Other Drug, and
Violence Prevention" Conference in DC (http://www.edc.org/hec/natl/2001/).
For anyone interested, I would be happy to share our slides after the
presentation is given.  We will also be presenting results from this same
study as an invited paper at the 2002 International Conference on Improving
Surveys (http://www.sfi.dk/).

>2)    What, if any, research exists regarding best practices?
Not a lot yet... considering.  There are a lot of "statements of best
practices" and other non scientifically based standards.  However, the
arena of web survey methodology has just begun to be explored seriously.
Next year at this time, I would expect to see a considerably more stable
standard practice guide out there.  But good quality research in methods
takes time.  Anyone asserting that they have "figured out" web research at
this point of the game doesn't understand all of the implications.

>3)    Surprises, anecdotes, and special skills required to become a
>seasoned 'net researcher.
I'd be happy to talk and share my thoughts.  From my perspective... it
takes a good amount of research skills... coupled with technology saavy...
coupled with a general understanding of sociology, psychology,
communications.

Scott Crawford
Research Director - Social Science Research
http://www.ms-interactive.com
734/542-7796
734/661-0323 (fax)