[Air-l] new public computing study out

Kate Williams katewill at umich.edu
Mon Aug 19 11:30:56 PDT 2002

Hello everyone,

We have finished a new study relating to public computing and the digital
divide, and we would welcome comments from folks on the list.

http://www.communitytechnology.org/toledo

Williams, Kate and Abdul Alkalimat. "A Census of Public Computing in
Toledo, Ohio." To appear in _Shaping the Network Society: The New Role of
Civic Society in Cyberspace_, edited by Douglas Schuler and Peter Day, MIT
Press, publisher.

ABSTRACT: An enumeration of public computing sites in Toledo, Ohio,
identifies 253 sites, proposes a methodology, and elaborates a model.  The
model is that government sites are distributed equally across an urban
area, commercial and university sites are distributed more to higher
socioeconomic locales, and community sites are distributed to the highest
and lowest socioeconomic locales and less to middle strata locales.

----
Kate Williams
doctoral student, University of Michigan
http://www.umich.edu/~katewill