[Air-l] Of Burnished Gold

Lachlan Brown lachlan at london.com
Fri Feb 8 13:38:45 PST 2002

All,

One must be careful following a query
concerning the demographics of the
Association of Internet Researchers
([Air-l] Re: Outreach Working Group
Charge, with a minor tweak Lachlan Brown)
with a thread ([Air-l] Have you
received something like this? ) on the so
called 'Nigerian Scam'.

Instead of alienating West Africa, and
those who share an affinity with West
Africa, or otherwise share an interest
in breaking stereotypes wherever they
occur and however they are articulated,
perhaps you could address the issue of
social inclusion seriously. A way to do
this is to be reflexive and open about
membership.

My question arising from many, many
years research in the field related to
several 'gaps', or shall we simply
say 'a complete and utter lapses in
scholarship' in Internet Research, arose
from reading an important misaddressed
email in AoIR concerning 'outreach'
strategies highlighting the need for
greater social inclusion.

What we get from AoIR is endless wittering
about 'The Nigerian Scam'.

What social literacies are represented
by the Association of Internet Researchers?

How are the industries of education and of
media and communications best served in
their need for informed scholarship and
advice concerning 'future markets'?

One way to understand these literacies
is to have a breakdown, even a rough
guesstimate, of the demographics of AoIR,
which is, as far as I can see, a locus of
power in Internet and Scholarship.

The estimate or breakdown is important
too to my initial intervention 'Bring Me My Bow' etc (Blakes "Jerusalem' far
from being a nationalist hymn is a poem to spiritual and intellectual striving,
inflected by irony, political satire, but
also by love.) of January, which raises
ethical and legal concerns for a number of constituencies of Internet. During the years
use of Internet has, it seems, grown from
'cyberpunk in boystown' to take a place in
the middle of our communication and
media lives. Users, so I hear, now include
the extremely angry mothers constititency,
the raging grannies against technofascism,
Street Kids against poor Internet
Scholarship, not to mention the 'we know
where you live' students against child
abuse constituency, concerned about the exploitation of innocents in the industry
and in education.

Please provide the information I requested.

I asked for a rough estimate, if hard
data is not available, on the demographics
of the Association of Internet Researchers.

[Air-l] Re: Outreach Working Group Charge,
with a minor tweak Lachlan Brown

[Air-l] Subscribe FREE to Design Research News Ken Friedman
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? Cristian Berrio
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? Adrian Higginbotham
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? Gina Neff
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? Steve Fox (NLG)
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? david silver
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? Sean Cubitt
Down Sean, Down Boy.
[Air-l] Re: Lurking Uwe Matzat
[Air-l] Redundancy Index: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #293 - 14 msgs James Watt
[Air-l] Redundancy Index: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #293 - 14 msgs jeremy
hunsinger
[Air-l] Have you received something like this? Steve Jones

BTW: 'The Nigerian Scam' is a perennial. I received a snail mail about it in 1991 in
Toronto at Between the Lines Press. It is
annoying, but it is hardly the 'thread of
the moment'.

In Nettime 'the Nigerian Scam' appeared
as Nettimers began considering 'race and ethnicity'. It also appeared in a
couple of industry groups when the question
of 'social inclusion' arose.

Lachlan Brown

Cultural Studies
Goldsmiths College