[Air-l] July 2002 executive committee report

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Tue Jul 16 19:41:05 PDT 2002

July 16, 2002
Report of the a(o).i.r. executive committee
Prepared by Steve Jones

AoIR Executive Committee
President: Steve Jones
Vice-President: Nancy Baym
Secretary: Ulla Bunz
Treasurer: Benjamin Bates
Open Seats: David Silver and Barry Wellman
Appointed Seats: Matthew Allen and Leslie Shade
Student Seat: Lisbeth Klastrup
Publications Officers: Jeremy Hunsinger and Charlie Breindahl
2002 Conference Coordinator: Monica Murero
2002 Conference Program Chair: Klaus Bruhn Jensen
Ethics Working Group Chair: Charles Ess

1.  Introduction & General (Jones)

Below is the monthly report from AoIR executive committee members.
It's mid-July, and methinks some people are off doing the kinds of
things people do when they're off. I'd be off, but I'm trying to be
right on. (And if you didn't think the heat around here was getting
to me, you now have plenty of confirmation.)

2.  Executive Officers' Reports

2.1 President (Jones)

2.1.1 As you will see from the below reports several initiatives are
now under way - more are to come, I am certain, in the next few
months. Your voice and participation are as always welcomed. Feel
free to contact me or any of the executive committee members or
working group leaders with questions, input and interest.

2.2 Vice President (Baym)

2.2.1 AoIR activity this month included normal continual conference
organizing and upkeep.

2.3 Secretary (Bunz)

2.3.1 This month on the executive list:
Summary June 14-July 13, 2002:
- brief discussion on student awards given out at the conference; no
changes made
- discussion on conference issues, including timing issues such as
when to publicize the call for hosts for future conferences and when
to set application deadlines; discussion on how many years to plan
ahead
- discussion of budget issues, including conference costs
- discussion on feedback from membership to air-exec; a
suggestions at aoir.org email address exists, but is not used much;
suggestion to have a feedback session either online or at the next
conference; in general the executive committee encourages feedback
and suggestions from the association's membership

2.4 Treasurer (Bates)

2.4.1 (He's back! -Sj)

2.5 Open Seats (Silver, Wellman)

2.5.1 Silver: I worked with Matt, Ulla, and Jeremy to launch the List
of Lists Web site
(http://www.aoir.org/list.php) and have continued working on the project
by fielding questions, comments, and additions.

2.5.2 Wellman: Spoke actively about AoIR at the World Congress of
Sociology, Brisbane
Australia. Met with government officials in Australia about Internet and
Society. Presented three papers about Living Networked in a Wired World.

2.6 Appointed Seats (Allen, Shade)

2.6.1 Allen: No report.

2.6.2 Shade: Rien.....pour moi cette mois

2.7 Student Seat (Klastrup)

2.7.1 Nothing to report. Mostly been enjoying unusually warm Danish
summer, while
moving all my earthly belongings from one place to another....

2.8 Publications Officers (Hunsinger, Breindahl)

2.8.1 Hunsinger: this month i primarily did server related things
including some upgrades and some installations. other than that,
brisbane in the winter is chilly at night, but nice during the day.

2.8.2 Breindahl: I am involved with the formation of an international
association of computer game researchers as well as a similar Danish
initiative. The latter has substantial funding already. In the last
couple of months I have been thinking a lot about how these
initiatives are related to AoIR.

Otherwise, I have managed our mailing lists with Jeremy as usual. It
is my ambition to become more knowledgeable about the back-office
part of aoir.org, so that I may take a more active role in
maintaining it.

2.9 2002 Conference (Monica Murero, Coordinator; Klaus Bruhn Jensen,
Program Chair)

2.9.1 Murero:  Nothing to report.

2.9.2 Jensen: I have been working with Monica Murero and Jeremy
Hunsinger to prepare the preliminary program for AoIR 3.0, which is
now online. Student presenters have also been contacted regarding the
award procedure for student papers. Over the summer, in addition to
updating the program, I will be soliciting air folk to serve on the
student-paper evaluation committee and as panel moderators.

2.10  AoIR Ethics Working Group (Charles Ess, Chair)

2.10.1 Nothing to report. (Don't blame me for scheduling CATaC when a
report was due! ;-) -Sj)

2.11 AoIR Elections Working Group (Nancy Baym, Liaison)

2.11.1 This month we launched the aoir working group on elections,
who are charged with reviewing the last election and considering
whether there are better alternatives to what we are doing now. Mia
Consalvo, who holds the distinction of having manually counted votes
in the first aoir election (I dare not tell you how few), is leading
the group. The working group has decided to keep its list archives
publically accessible, and is now forging ahead with the meat of its
discussion.

2.12 AoIR Net Resources Working Group (Charlie Breindahl, Liaison)

2.12.1 The Net Resources WG is off to a slow start. Discussion has
been minimal so far. I have offered to take a more active role in the
group and have met no objections. I hope and believe that we can
demonstrate real progress at or shortly after the conference in
Maastricht.

------------------------------------end of executive committee

The Association of Internet Researchers is a scholarly association
dedicated to the advancement of the cross-disciplinary field of
Internet studies. It is a resource and support network promoting
critical and scholarly Internet research independent from traditional
disciplines and existing across academic borders. The association is
international in scope.

The association's web site is at http://www.aoir.org. Membership
information is available at http://aoir.org/airjoin.html