[Air-l] something totally different
burg at donau-uni.ac.at
Thu Mar 7 07:52:05 PST 2002
Thanks to all of your for responding,
it really helps digging and finding the way through this jungle
of meanings, traditions and idiosyncrasies.
I posted this question in another forum,
the inhabitants of this community came up with the following
------- original quotation --- Thomas Burg: ---------------
To sum up the discussion for me briefly. The distinction of MA vs. MSc is based on several aspects.
- If the program has a research focus than it's likely to be a MSc if it's not in the classical Arts fields like Language, Art and other Humanities
- If the program is located at a Professional School such as Law, Medicine, Nursing ... than it contrasts to Liberal Arts Colleges and Sciences.
- The amount of courses that account for either Arts or hard sciences (Maths, Physics, Chemistry ...) determine if the whole program is either or.
- If you can't make it to a PhD you better apply for an MSc
- The tradition/culture and whatever of an institution determine about the naming
- There is no precise algorithm that is able to decide on the issue.
I tried to get the 2 Computer Science Bachelors from Rutger (referring to a specific post) in one picture (see atachment) to see the differnces - there are some but few.
Thomas N. Burg,
Center for New Media
Donau Universitaet Krems
Dr. Karl Dorrek Strasse 30
A-3500 Krems, Austria
Fon +43-2732-893-2520, Fax -4500
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 120211 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Air-L