[Air-l] discussion on free papers

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Fri Nov 1 05:06:55 PST 2002

I second Jeremy's note - the association should not coerce anyone to
do anything. We have encouraged people to share their work, and we
have a means (again, as with so much else of our online presence,
courtesy Jeremy) of distributing work electronically. If there are
people interested in doing so I am sure Jeremy will help them (though
if there is truly great interest in this I would hope that there will
be people who will help Jeremy, for he, along with Charlie
Breindahl's help, has been shouldering virtually the entire burden of
running AoIR's Internet applications and hardware).

Let us not also forget that many of the papers presented at AoIR
conferences have been published in various forms and venues, and that
for many people publication of work in a proceedings (whether online
or offline) may foreclose other publication opportunities that
"count" for much more in academic settings. There are interesting
ways in which academic work is implicated in intellectual property
matters, and not all of them are only based on legal considerations.
Perhaps some of those who have published could share citations.

AoIR will continue to encourage the sharing of work, but should not
obligate or coerce anyone to share it (or to do anything else for
that matter).

Thanks,
Sj