[Air-l] Re: SMS

James Watt wattj at rpi.edu
Fri Jan 17 11:11:48 PST 2003

RE:

>Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:37:05 -0800
>To: air-l at aoir.org
>From: Mark Warschauer <markw at uci.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Air-l] SMS?
>
> >Where do you live, Mark ?
> >
>Southern California.
>
>SMS is not as prevalent here as in Europe, and apparently neither is
>the term (though I'm sure people more astute than I are familiar with
>it).
>Mark
>
>Mark Warschauer
>Vice Chair, Department of Education
>Assistant Professor of Education and of Information & Computer Science
>University of California, Irvine

Since I mentally mistranslated "SMS" as "Synchronous Message Systems"
(i.e., generic chat) for a moment (and I'm interested in in-group
restricted language codes), I Googled "SMS " to see how out-of-it I was.
Google found 48,300,000 hits, so I, too, must sadly confess to being
acronym-impaired. Now if you had said "...thumb typing" ...

James H. Watt
Professor and Chair, Department of Language, Literature, and Communication
Director, Social and Behavioral Research Laboratory
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street, Sage Lab 4708
Troy, NY 12180-3590
email: wattj at rpi.edu