[Air-l] Informal programming learning?

Irene Berkowitz berkowitz at mail.temple.edu
Tue Jan 28 12:33:28 PST 2003

Jeremy,

Not a reference to specifically learning programming, but the "Social
Life of Information" by John Seeley Brown and Paul Duguid is about the
phenomenon of the "practice of learning."

IB
>>> jhuns at vt.edu 01/27/2003 7:38:30 PM >>>
there is, as i recall, at least one such work at opensource.mit.edu,
i'd be interested in hearing of others.
<lurk mode= on> ! error mode not present
On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 06:23 PM, David Wiley wrote:

> <lurk mode=off>
>
> Everyone,
>
> I'm looking for references to the informal (trans. extracurricular)
> learning of programming. We all know (or may be) geeks of great
> prowess who never took a CS course. These people frequently relied on

> the Internet to receive help, get feedback, etc. Anyone know of any
> research pieces that detail (or at least reference) this phenomenon?
jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
on the ibook
www.cddc.vt.edu