[Air-l] War and the Net

Fred Turner fturner at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 4 16:23:01 PST 2003

Andrew --

         I'm guessing you were thinking of John Arquilla, who teaches at
the Naval Postgraduate Center in Monterey, CA. He's thought more about
these issues than anyone I know. Much of his work has been published by
Rand -- I've copied in some citations below.

Arquilla, John, et al. The advent of netwar. Santa Monica, CA: Rand, 1996.

Arquilla, John, et al. Swarming & the future of conflict. Santa Monica, CA:
Rand, 2000.

Arquilla, John, et al. The emergence of noopolitik : toward an American
information strategy. Santa Monica, CA: Rand, 1999.

Arquilla, John, et al. In Athena's camp : preparing for conflict in the
information age. Santa Monica, Calif.: Rand, 1997.

Khalilzad, Zalmay, et al. Strategic appraisal : the changing role of
information in warfare. Santa Monica, CA: Rand, 1999.

Schwartzstein, Stuart J. D., and Center for Strategic and International
Studies (Washington D.C.). The information revolution and national security
: dimensions and directions. Significant issues series, v. 18, no. 3.
Washington, D.C.: Center for Strategic & International Studies, 1996.

Stocker, Gerfried, and Christine Schöpf. InfoWar. Wien ; New York:
Springer, 1998.

         You might also try David Ronfeldt. See for instance Ronfeldt,
David F., and Arroyo Center. The Zapatista social netwar in Mexico. Santa
Monica, Calif.: Rand, 1998.

         Sounds like a great project -- I'd like to hear more about it as
it evolves.

Best,
Fred

Fred Turner