[Fwd: Re: [Air-l] The death of chat?]

Frank Thomas frank.thomasftr at free.fr
Thu Sep 25 02:26:50 PDT 2003

Some French echos:
The French economic newspaper Les Echos only speaks of the spam and
pornography reasons, in its headline.
Le Figaro doesn't mention anything.
Libération repeats what we could read this thread here: it's a mixture
of closing a service that creates more nuisance than revenu, and creates
a good moral image.
Le webjournal Journal du Net  amply comments the decision and cites the
official reasons given by the director of MSN France. The journalist
then also mentions the effetcs of the closing of the chat on the net use
ratings  as the chat was an integral part of the MSN portail.  The
competitors atack the decision as a advertisement scoop, and as
irresponsible .

Porn or criminal use of the Internet is not an important question here
in France, maybe because the culture is not so sex-opposed as in some
Anglo-saxon countries, and because the Internet is less used.

Frank Thomas
Rosny, France