[Air-l] e-science, the grid, and supercomputers - inter2?

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 19:59:52 PDT 2003

Dear Air-er's -

I recall a lot of hype around internet2.  But the
latest review I saw of its implementation (in a recent
Chronicle of Higher Ed, don't have the exact date)
looked very under-whelming.

It was a new bandwidth and was supposed to offer broad
spectrum high speed connectivity, especially for
'internet video' - a friend of mine was worked at
Southern Cross Uni on the video implmentation for
distance music teachers/pupils in Australia, another
team (I believe at U-Kentucky) has worked on a similar
project and not had much joy on the inter2 network.
Despite the vaunted specs, it is too slow for
interactive music instruction via 'webcam'.

Ok, doesn't grid sound like inter2 all over again?
Anyone out there working on project implementation
with an inter2 link that is going well?? and I have
continually heard that IPv6 is coming. Has it arrived
in the US or anywhere else for that matter?

Having a skeptical moment, Denise

=====
"The distance between here and there is growing; and getting even larger as we speak" (S. S. Hall)
Denise N. Rall, PhD student, School of EnvironSciMgmt, Southern Cross Uni,  Lismore, NSW, 2480 Australia Phone +61-2-6624-8627 Fax +61-2-6624-8637 Office (Tuesdays) (02) 6620 3577 Mob 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html