[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet Without Space)

Nils Zurawski nils.zurawski at uni-hamburg.de
Wed Feb 4 07:05:35 PST 2004

this discussion becomes ever more interesting....
  I was esp. intrigued by Charles# and Michelle's postings.. which got
me to think on the notion of space and spatiality as it seemed to
have been used throughout the debate... and I might have missed
something...so be kind..

space and spatiality were/are discussed with reference to physical
space.. the 'real', embodiement.. Michelle's setting tried to get
away from it and indeed I think this is a good idea.. studies in
urban sociology and the sociology of space have indeed discussed a
dichotomy which might be helpful for us...
The two arguments or lines of thought can be divided into approaches that see

a. space as a container7absolute space ->eucliadian space where
action in these spaces does not affect the spatial construction, look
or make-up
b. relational space -> space is formed by action, experiences and
changes spaces on a constant basis. Furthermore a person can inhabit
different spaces at a time, because the concept is context driven.

REbecca bryant - I cited her work earlier - argues for a. in the case
of Cyberspace, as she sees the computers and cables as the container.
I disagree with that, but have also difficulties with point b.

Looking for a term to describe the "space" we are talking about is
difficult, as we want to make a statement and localize people and the
communication between them somewhere.  Setting would be a start to
get away from it... Sphere of experience another... Gibson calls it
"hallucination" , which has more to do with the cognitive aspects
then with the "locus".  I also find it hard to talk about
on/offline.. and think about something that can describe the
"continuum of experience" of communication and actions and hence
social relations better... social relations do not have to be space
bound, but create a whole, whichmay constitute space, not necessarily
physical in nature...

I hope I still make sense and have not lost all of you  by now..
before I do I leave at that and wait for your comments..

bes t
nilz
--
Dr. Nils Zurawski