[Air-l] space and place

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 4 11:09:23 PST 2004

Great discussion on (cyber)space. The paper below of mine links it to
longterm discussions in community sociology of space and place. I really
like this article, if I do say so myself.

Barry Wellman, "Physical Place and Cyber Place: The Rise of Networked
Individualism." International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 25,2
(June, 2001): 227-52.

PS: Nancy Baym discussed the Copher finding, "the more (online), the more
offline"  in Wellman-Haythornthwaite's Internet in Everyday Life. same
finding appears in Quan, et al and Boase, Chen & Wellman, altho we didn't
select articles on that basis. Pew studies find the same thing.

As does Castells, et al in Catalonia.

Bernie Hogan finds a softer version: Internet use doesn't seem to lower
other forms of communication (ASA conf, last August).
I am starting to think this is a reliable finding, at least in the soft
version.

 Barry, Idiot Clown Professor, among other things