[Air-l] Space and Place

Charles Hendricksen veritas at u.washington.edu
Wed Feb 4 16:50:22 PST 2004

As a geographer I must put my oar into this pond.  On of the more
pervasive meanings of space is *context*, for example cultural.  In the
experienced world our reality is a set of superimposed spaces: academe,
queer space, the dark nation, kid space, etc.  As we move about the
physical world we may have no knowledge of how important a place is in
different spaces.

Cyberspace is the physical world seen through the eyes of those who
communicate on the internet.  Cyberspace has holes in it: places not
served by the internet.  Cyberspace has regions served by Wi-Fi
networks.  Cyberspace has places or nodes where communication channels
converge.

Mapping is another term that is related to space.  One speaks of a
mapping of one phenomenon over the space of another.  The space may be
physical or conceptual.

Martin Dodge has been the leader in defining the geographies of
cyberspace.  See
http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/casa/martin/geography_of_cyberspace.html

--
  Charlie Hendricksen, PhD
  Research Collaboration Architect

"Information technology structures human relationships."

Dissertation link: http://depts.washington.edu/bkn/public/pubs/diss.html
DocReview link: http://purl.oclc.org/DocReview/get