[Air-l] Re: An Internet without Space

gdtaylor gdtaylor at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 8 09:54:13 PST 2004

I have been following this discussion. I started using the Internet in 1988
before there was a World Wide Web. At that time, I was working for a
government agency that had networked offices and dial-up modem capabilities
that allowed me to connect to one of the few servers available at that time.
This was at a point in time when servers were few-and-far-between and tended
to reside on the campuses of major universities or federal government offices
in the U.S.

I have always appreciated the fact that President Clinton and Vice-President
Gore promoted the idea of the Internet and World Wide Web being an information
superhighway. I continue to maintain the viewpoint that the Internet and WWW
are an information superhighway to this day.

I have also been using relational databases since 1988, primarily for research
purposes. I also tend to think of the Internet and WWW as being just a very
large relational database. The various Internet search engines (e.g. Yahoo,
Google) are the query menus that allow users to sort the database and locate
information using search words or phrases.

Gail

Gail D. Taylor, Graduate Teaching Assistant
Department of Human Resource Education

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."  Charles Darwin