[Air-l] Re: first post (An Internet Without Space/reply to Elijah)

Eero Tarik et at tarik.com.au
Mon Feb 9 16:44:33 PST 2004

Elijah, you wrote that I was coming across as a bit rude, even for an
Australian ( whatever that means).

If this is so, I apologise although with so many hardened academics in
here I hardly think they could offended by anything
I would have to say given the challenging environments they work in.
Maybe I watch too much TV but isn't academia full of overheated debate,
back stabbing and aggressive rivalry?
Cant imagine a little mouse like me upsetting people from that
environment :-)

Anyhow, I won't argue with you as to whether there has been a lot or
little number crunching going on or whether academia should be results
oriented.
I'm sure those arguments go on every day in universities and I'll let
the taxpayers of the world worry about the results issue.

I should point out, however, that I am no stranger to crunching numbers.
For the past decade I have developed a global reputation in a few sports
as a statistician who produces interesting and innovative results -
results that have been widely published, results that could then be
found easily, results that pleased an international audience with far
more knowledge of the mechanics of the sport than I possessed. Results
produced without concepts, without official "methods", but produced
efficiently and by being relevant the statistics earnt myself an
international reputation.
I have designed web pages for the worlds largest single sport website,
created globally accepted statistical rankings, had my statistically
backed theories published in official sports annual journals and been
quoted widely and used as a source in daily newspapers,TV and radio in
Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
In my field of online sports statistics I was a world leader.
I am no stranger to numbers, no stranger to getting from point A to B in
a straight line and no stranger to being relevant.

And it is my goal to produce relevant results in the field of Internet
Research, without conceptualising/ hallucinating, without using geek
speak, but producing results that are efficient, able to be understood
by every English speaking person on the planet and published widely by
the media for the benefit of the public  - and my results will be relevant.
That may be a brash Australian attitude, but its the only one I know and
Im sure every Texan on the list would understand it !!
Time will tell if I succeed or fail...
 :-)

regards, time to do some assignments...

ET