[Air-l] Dissertation on camgirls online for AoIR folks.

Terri Senft janedoe at echonyc.com
Mon Feb 9 12:07:02 PST 2004

Hi Friends,

At the last AoIR Conference, I spoke with some of you about my
forthcoming dissertation/book, Camgirls: Gender, Micro-celebrity and
Ethics on the World Wide Web. The project is a feminist ethnography of
women who use webcams and journals for self-expression/ promotion
online.  While researching, I also ran a live webcam  from my home.

A few days ago, I put the finalized version of my first three chapters
online for my subjects' final okays. I've provided links below for
anyone on AoIR interested in reading.

Introduction: The ethical challenge of difference in the age of the
global brand
http://www.echonyc.com/~janedoe/diss/intro1.htm

Chapter One: I'd rather be a camgirl, than a cyborg
http://www.echonyc.com/~janedoe/diss/ch1B.htm

Chapter Two: Real live camgirls: from telepresence to tele-ethicality
http://www.echonyc.com/~janedoe/diss/ch1B.htm

Please feel free to look thus stuff over or avoid it entirely.  More
importantly, I hope you give a shout if  I should know about your work
in this (or a related) area! I can reached off-list at
terri.senft at nyu.edu
Or, you are always  welcome to drop by my LiveJournal at
http://www.livejournal.com/users/tsenft

Thanks for your time,
Terri Senft

Theresa M. Senft
Auxiliary Adviser, Gallatin School of Individualized Study
Adjunct Professor, Interactive Telecommunications Program
New York University, 719 Broadway, Room 519
(212) 998-7333  email: terri.senft at nyu.edu