[Air-l] hallucinating cyberspace -origins

Eero Tarik et at tarik.com.au
Wed Feb 11 23:28:47 PST 2004

hi gang,

correct me if I am wrong but didnt Gibson, when he created the word
"cyberspace", define it as "a consensual hallucination experienced daily
by legitimate operators".

So when I refer to anybody "hallucinating" about cyberspace I am indeed
being correct as per the true meaning of the word. Cyberspace is,
according to the author of the word, an hallucination. To create
cyberspace, one hallucinates. Nobody was being insulted, nobody was
being ridiculed when I suggested some hallucinate about cyberspace, I
was merely describing cyberspace as the author intended.
I trust the confusion has now ended.

Of course, if some people want to take the word cyberspace and then
re-invent its meaning.... well, thats another issue :-)

note to Jonathan - I did put forward a project in the online discussion
group in one of my internet studies units but it was suggested to me
that I might like to keep it under my belt for a post graduate effort.

to conclude...
I'm sure the famous modern philosopher, Bart Simpson, if asked his
opinion on this matter would remark...
" hundreds of billions of web pages to study and you want to talk about
cyberspace????"

see ya

Eero Tarik