[Air-l] My first survey

Eero Tarik et at tarik.com.au
Tue Feb 17 15:21:33 PST 2004

Dear AIR people,

to get a break from all the theory and assignments I have decided to
create my first Internet Research project, an online survey.

This project has nothing to do with the units I am presently studying,
but I thought it would be a useful break to do something practical.
It is my first experience using php (I had to give myself a crash 24
hour course in php code), so for those who are experts in this area
there are still behind the scenes issues I am trying to work out - like
security and to prevent people using the survey from outside my domain.
According to my web hosts I am on a Linux server and therefore couldnt
use an Access database nor could I use MySQL without coughing up more
money. As a result of these limitations I have chosen to send the data
by email to myself as well as loading it into a text file on my server
and this is then loaded into a spreadsheet for analysis.
A few hundred people have used it so far and the results are already
interesting.
It has only been tested on Windows machines and using IE and Netscape so
far. If any of you experience difficulties using other equipment and
software I'd be happy to hear from you.

So if  you would care to attempt my first online research survey please
feel free to give it a try and offer your opinions. And if you'd like to
send all of your students along as well, the more the merrier :-)

the address is...
http://www.tarik.com.au/university/forms/LIUS.html

Whilst some might consider the question to be frivolous, to me, its
important.

regards,

Eero Tarik
Adelaide