[Air-l] capitalism always lies ?

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Sun Feb 1 17:38:22 PST 2004

Art McGee <amcgee at virtualidentity.org> writes

> > It also indicates that poltics is a major way that people
> > interpret the responses of others when engaged in online
> > discussions, and that we cannot be free of offline
> > categories that easily.
>
> "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."
> --Peter Steiner
>  New Yorker Magazine
>  July 1993
>

> "What's wrong with being a dog?"
> --Art McGee
>  Computers, Freedom, and Privacy Conference
>  March 1995

Nothing :)

I'm agreeing with you.

I'm just saying we can't be free of those categories, this is not meant.
to imply we *should* be free of categories.

I think that would perhaps leave us without language or identity.

I'd much rather people acknowledged the effect that these categories
have on the way they interpret others online, than to pretend they don't
exist.

Politics, gender, race, (no evaluative order intended here), seem to be
amongst the major factors influencing the ways that people interpret
others and react to others online.

At the moment my research focuses on gender, but the other two categories
keep sneaking in and i'm going to have to generalise, or at least learn something
about them - no suprise huh?

jon

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.