[Air-l] first post

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Mon Feb 2 20:31:55 PST 2004

Good series of questions.

I guess the interesting thing to me is why the hell people
need to construct using the Internet as a spatial thing
in the first place?

We don't talk of 'phone space' or 'TV space'.

So if I can cheat here, I'd say Cyber'space' is affected
by the intersection of at least four factors.

Firstly, by the use of offline space
Secondly, by the use of the 'locale' for the reduction of
communicative ambiguity.
Thirdly, by the structures of communication employed online and
Fourthly, by the use of space metaphors as a topos for persuasion,

Offline space effects online space in that it gives the routes for
wires, and the relevant social boundaries which affect the
composition of the different types of offline groups (ethnic,
class, politcal or subcultural, etc) which influences the composition
of online groups, and the ways that people interpret each others
messages.

These offline space factors determine ease of access, delay, time
of day people are online etc and therefore also affects the
population composition of online groups which in turn gives the
sense of the group's space through the emails or message they emit.
(ie this is a way of saying onine groups develop cultures, and these
cultures are not independent of the offline world)

Offline the 'locale' often gives indications of expected behaviour,
(ie bank, public park, person's home etc) which allows interpretation
of communication, and a similar idea becomes important in the
construction of Cyberspace, as is the distinction made between
locales of public and private action - and the behaviour allowed
and expected there.  The ambiguities which arise are part of the
dynamics of onlilne life.

Online 'space' is also created by the structures of communication
(ie whether the online forum is a Mailing List, MOO, Newsgroup etc)
and the patterns of naming and exchange which eventuate.
For example, people on a List define list locale by the volume
and style of their posts and this might be quite different from
other lists - giving it a sense of place and hence (to us) a sense of space.

The involvement of communicative organization in the construction
of space means that List space differs from MOO space and from
Web space and has consequences for the kinds of social action
and conflict which can easily eventuate.

Online social space in many ways revitalizes the metaphorical
similarity between topic and place which features in the
rhetoric of Aristotle (ok :).  Topos determines the method of
persuasion, or poetic figuration which determines the nature of
place which in turn determines topos.  Topos (topic) is a tool
of persuasion in rhetoric theory.

People making political arguments about the Internet, or commercial
organisations trying to exploit the Internet, often try to define
it as a particular type of place to mobilize the persuasive topos
associated with that locale. ie whether it should be free or
controlled, or how people should behave.
For example I was on a list once where people were arguing whether
the list was like a lounge room or a pub, in order to say what
kind of behaviour was appropriate or allowable.

to self promote.  I wrote about this at length in:

"Cyber-space or Cyber-topos: the Creation of Online Space",
Social Analysis, Special Issue on the Cultures of Cyberspace,
No. 45(1), pp81-102.

which may be completely irrelevant :)

jon

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.