[Air-l] AoIR list and professional courtesy

Ildiko Kaposi pphkai01 at phd.ceu.hu
Tue Feb 3 02:27:14 PST 2004

Dear all,

True, the AoIR list has traditionally been a place for polite and
considered reflection.
I have no doubt it'll continue to be the same once this thread of
radicalism dries up.

But admit it, conflict, when expressed in no uncertain but colourful
verbal forms, can also be hugely entertaining.
I came to this conclusion from my studying an online political
discussion forum. And so far this list is doing much better handling its
conflict.

Enjoy,

Ildiko Kaposi

>>> TRKluver at ntu.edu.sg 02/03/04 6:15 AM >>>
I have been holding my anger back, but I am getting tired of AoIR
becoming a listserve of inflated egos and the most egregious forms of
rudeness.  I would humbly request that from now on, we make some sort of
"civic pledge" to not dismiss people who disagree with us as "clowns"
and try to keep the list on topic.

> Art

Yes, it is a terrible thing to have a listserve where not everyone
agrees with your own construction of reality.  Much better to dismiss
everyone who disagrees you as a "clown" (Art's description of Barry
Wellman), and get them off our mailing lists.

Randolph Kluver
School of Communication and Information
Nanyang Technological University
31 Nanyang Link