[Air-l] AoIR list and professional courtesy

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Tue Feb 3 15:01:02 PST 2004

OK, I'll tone down the dripping sarcasm. My apologies.

Please try to understand where I'm coming from. As a Black
American who has been online longer than most of the people
doing scholarly cyberspace research today (when I was
growing up, my research heroes were folks like Murray
Turoff, Star Roxanne-Hiltz, Tracey Laquey-Parker, John S.
Quarterman, and Laurence Landweber), I have a somewhat weird
relationship to the study of cyberculture. The so-called
Digital Divide has never applied to me and my numerous Black
colleagues, and therefore I can tend to be somewhat hostile
when confronted with the paternalistic framing which
undergirds so much academic research and commercial
propaganda regarding technoculture. You're studying it,
but I've been living it for 25 years.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :-)

Art