[Air-l] On the Concept of Space

jespert jespert at it-c.dk
Wed Feb 4 00:15:07 PST 2004

Dear All,

I just want to tell you that I made an article on cyberspace as a space
parallel to geographical space in 2002.

In that article I worked with philosophy, sociology and the history of
technology in order to explore the possibility of building on the
definition of space. My goal was to describe cyberspace as a space
parallel to geographical space and to tell the story of its genesis by
exploring space in the context of humans and their society.

I argued that social evolution describes human colonisation of
geographical space as the dynamic interplay between new communication
techniques, technological innovations and the differentiation of
society. Communication techniques and technology in the process of
social-evolution I think redefine space from a geographical context.
At the same time this process generates a separate space in cyberspace
by forming a conceptual space by virtue of the Internet connecting
computers. Parallel space, in a philosophical context, results when the
space-transforming technology alters geographical space then critical
mass is reached assisted by the Internet. The paper concludes with the
idea that a parallel space exists for social systems when the new demand
placed upon individual psychic systems requires an explanation of how
society functions differently in cyberspace.

Also Espen Aarset has a concept namely
non-local space
 but I think
that he has only written about that in Scandinavian language.

Tække, Jesper. 2002. Cyberspace as a Space parallel to geographical
space. in: Virtual space: The spatiality of virtual inhabited 3D worlds.
Lars Qvortrup, Springer Publishers, 2002.

Best Regards
Jesper Tække

--
Jesper Tække - MA. Ph.D.-Student - IT University of Copenhagen - Dept. of Digital Aesthetics & Communication -  Glentevej 67 - DK-2400 NV Copenhagen NW - Phone +45 3816 8888 - Direct +45 3816 8881 - Fax +45 3816 8899 - http://home16.inet.tele.dk/jesper_t/  - e-mail: jespert at it-c.dk