[Air-l] Reminder: TCQ Special Issue Deadline 1/31/04

Logie logie at umn.edu
Thu Jan 15 14:38:02 PST 2004

This is a one-time reminder (apologies for cross postings that make it
more than that) that the deadline for Technical Communication
Quarterly's special issue on "Visual Thinking, Online Documentation,
and Hypertext" is approaching. Submissions NOT chosen for the issue
will be forwarded onto TCQ's editors for consideration in a later
issue, so readers are doubly encouraged to submit articles that seem
appropriate.

The CFP is below.

Best,

John Logie and Craig Baehr, special issue co-editors

----------------------

TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION QUARTERLY: CALL FOR PAPERS

Special issue on Visual Thinking, On-line Documentation and Hypertext

Description
As the work of technical communicators shifts from print to online
documents, we are encouraged to reconsider our ideas of how texts and
hypertexts are navigated, interpreted and used. To meet this new
demand, our strategies for document development must now recognize ways
in which our audiences think visually. Many guidelines for visual
information design focus on stylistics, design principles, page layout,
data displays and other aesthetic considerations. But the electronic
composing space invites us to consider new elements such as information
architecture, interface design and navigation systems, which all
suggest the importance of how information is structured and interpreted
from a combined visual-spatial perspective. This special issue, of
Technical Communication Quarterly, co-edited by Craig M. Baehr (Texas
Tech University) and John Logie (University of Minnesota) considers
opportunities that become available when we incorporate visual thinking
into processes of information design and document development. This
topic is important in two ways: (1) it addresses new approaches to
developing on-line documentation not previously considered at length in
this field; and (2) it considers how the changing nature of hypertext
challenges us to adopt new development strategies that acknowledge how
our audiences act and interact in response to highly visual media.

Possible Topics
Some issues to consider for possible topics could include the following:

- What approaches should we take when adapting print-based rhetorical
techniques for on-line environments?

- How might we encourage audiences to think visually?

- How can visual thinking enhance usability and reader response in
on-line documentation?

- What visual and spatial principles and techniques can be incorporated
into pedagogies for courses in hypertext publishing and/or on-line
documentation?

- What strategies can be used in the development of navigation systems,
interface design, or site architecture that would address how audiences
think in hypertext spaces?

- What social, ethical or cultural issues govern our strategies for
incorporating visual thinking theory into our Web design and/or
instructional practices?

- What on-line documentation practices must be reconfigured due to the
visual and spatial nature of hypertexts?

Types of Submissions
This special issue will consider articles that address how visual
thinking can be used to improve our methods of composing, teaching and
interpreting hypertexts. Articles could include applications of theory,
results of original research, case studies, and practical applications
in both the classroom and workplace.

Deadline

Papers must be received via email no later than Saturday, January 31,
2004.

Figures or graphics should be provided in electronic format (eps, tiff,
or pdf) on disk (150 line screen for background, 133 lines screen for
half-tones). Save using a resolution of at least 300 dpi.

Send papers in .DOC or .RTF format via email to:

Craig Baehr
Email: craig.baehr at ttu.edu
John Logie
Email: logie at umn.edu

Contact Information
If you have questions or would like to be considered as a reviewer for
this special issue, contact:

John Logie
(612) 624-4709
Email: logie at umn.edu