[Air-l] CFP - II ONLINE Conference of the Observatory for CiberSociety

Fernando Garrido - Observatorio de la Cibersociedad fgarrido at cibersociedad.net
Wed Sep 1 03:30:42 PDT 2004

..:: Call for Papers::..
II ONLINE Conference of the Observatory for CiberSociety
“Towards what Knowledge Society?”

http://www.cibersociedad.net/congreso2004

July, 2004

Dear Friends:

We are very pleased to keep in touch with you to invite you to the II
ONLINE Conference of the Observatory for the CiberSociety “Towards what
Knowledge Society?”, which will take place on the Cyberspace between the
2nd and 14th of November of 2004. It may be interesting to you to
collaborate with us.

Considering the subjects which will be handled on the Conference, and the
ones which you are focussed in, we would like you to submit a paper for you
to take part on one of the 78 Working Groups of the Conference.

In advance, we appreciate your kind attention and we will be very pleased
if you choose to participate in our Conference.

Sincerely,

Conference Committee
II ONLINE Conference of the Observatory for CiberSociety
“Towards what Knowledge Society?”

Next:
1. Introduction
2. Details for Paper Submission
4. More Information
5. Schedule
6. Contacts
7. Legal Advice

We are sending you this e-mail with all the information you could need
included on it, so it is not necessary you to get any other attached file;
but, if you would prefer to have this documentation, you can obtain this
one and more details on: http://www.cibersociedad.net/congreso2004

-->1. Introduction

The Observatory for the CiberSociety [http://www.cibersociedad.net] summons
its II ONLINE Conference which will make and approach from an opened,
multidisciplinary, critical and open perspective of its main topic -the
Cybersociety- through an invitation to make an analysis on what kind of
Knowledge Society we want. The Conference will take place in the Cyberspace
between the 2nd and 14th November of 2004.

Through this document we opened a period for the introduction of
candidacies to participate on any of the 78 work groups of the Congress.
The work groups are the structural units in which the Congress is organized
-they are similar to the ones which use to be structured in on symposiums,
seminaries or workshops.

We summoned to Academic World, Public Administration, Private Enterprise
and Civil Society to participate in this Congress. Considering the
transcendence of the expositions, questions and implicit reflections shown
on the editorial and on each one of the work groups main lines, we think
that the participation of different social actors is essential to answer
from an legitimated perspective to the main question of this event: Towards
what Knowledge?

Concretely we would like to keep in touch with researchers and teachers of
Social and Humanities subjects to show their current researches and
analysis; to encourage to researchers and teachers in Technical and
Scientific areas to show their more innovative discoveries and analysis; to
give to Public Administrations and Private Companies the chance to explain
the projects they are involved in; and finally to the Civil Society to
communicate their feelings, comments and experiences about the interaction
with ICT's and the Knowledge Society.

The Conference is articulated according an structure of 78 thematic Work
Groups, reason why the subjects of the communications must be related to
the main subjects of these units. You can consult the list of Work Groups
in the Web of the Congress (http://www.cibersociedad.net/congreso2004 ) We
understand that the communications should be introduced within the group
topic reference and should analyze a particular subject or some experience
related to the subject of the Work Group in which it is included.

--> 2. Details for Paper Submission

COMMUNICATIONS ARE the most meaningful contents of the Conference. They
should be framed into the main subject of the Work Groups accepted by de
Congress and make the calling sending the documentation directly to them
through the Group pages, and always using the submission form which has
been designed by the organizers for that purpose.

So, those communications sent by e-mail or through any other means not
considered on the details won't be accepted. The submission form will be
ready by next week. Other briefings, news and regulations related to the
sending of communications are:

* ORIGINAL TEXTS ONLY. The communications must be unpublished.

* METAINFORMATION. Five keywords, an abstract or summary in the source
language must be included on each communication. We recommend, besides, to
include its abstract or summary translated into English.

* ACCEPTED LANGUAGES. The languages which will be considered on the
Conference and, therefore the ones in which the communications will be
accepted, are: Catalan, Castilian, Galician, English and Portuguese. The
organizers will supply automatic translation of all the communications into
Catalan, Castilian and English. If any Work Group coordination wants to
accept communications in other languages, it will be specified on the group
Web Page and it is under its own responsibility to send the corresponding
translations to the organizers of this Conference so that they will be able
to translate them into other languages.

* SUBMISSION FORMAT. The submission form of the communications will be
saved under the following file formats: RTF, TXT, SXW, DOC, ZIP & RAR. We
suggest you to use free formats (RTF, TXT or SXW). In case of doubt, please
don't hesitate to contact us.

* FULL TEXT. This Conference will only accept the sending of the full
document, its final version. Incomplete communications, abstracts/summaries
or any other kind of incomplete proposals won't be evaluated or accepted
due to formal reasons.

* LENGTH. The electronic format we are using allows us a certain freedom
about communication length. However, due to operative reasons and content
standardization, we recommend a minimum length of 10 DIN A-4 pages double
spaced (approximately 3,000 words) and a maximum of 32 DIN A-4 pages double
spaced (approximately 10,000 words).

* INITIAL COMMENTS. For the opening dates of the Conference (November
2dn.), all the communications will be published in the electronic site of
the Congress with an initial comment or summary which will allow to start
the discussion about it. For that purpose, every person with an accepted
communication from a Work Group will be given another one from the same
group to read and elaborate the initial comment. This task will be assigned
by the coordination staff of every unit. The organization considers this
pre-Congress task is very important to generate useful debates about
communications contents.

* DEADLINE: THE DEADLINE FOR THE PRESENTATION OF COMMUNICATIONS IS OCTOBER,
7TH 2004. –

* RECOMMENDATION: The organizers of the Conference consider that all the
communications should clearly specify (1) the specific object of study your
communication refers to; (2) the importance and interest of the subject
according to the aims and planning of the Working Group;(3) Specify the
methodology and disciplinary field the communication comes from; and (4)
end your work with some conclusions.

* QUOTATION FORMAT. We recommend the quotations to be included into the
text between brackets, starting with the author surname, year, and page of
reference, e.g. (AUTHOR, 1997:101) OR, (AUTHOR AND AUTHOR: 1997:101-105).
Footnotes will only be used for quotations in case it will provide more
information or comments about the quotation.

* BIBLIOGRAPHY FORMAT. It is recommended not to use vignette or indentation
for the bibliographic lists, and we suggest the next samples to make
bibliographic lists or similar:

->For a book:

TURKLE, Sherry, 1997, Life on the screen. Identity in the age of Internet,
New York: Touchstone

->For the chapter of a book:

STRATTON, Jon, 1997, Cyberspace and the Globalization of Culture", in David
PORTER (ed.), Internet Culture, New York & London: Routledge, pp. 253-275

->For an article from a magazine:

STARRS, Paul F., 1997, The sacred, the regional and the digital", in The
Geographical Review, vol. 87, not. 2, pp. 193-218

* PUBLICATION. All the accepted proposals to the Conference will be
published on its minutes. All the Congress materials and, consequently, all
the communications, will be subjected by the ‘Creative Commons’ licence of
the Congress which will allow the free circulation of the contents provided
whenever the source and authors will be mentioned.

--> 3. FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

    May I send more than one communication?
Each conference member may send as many communications as he/ she wishes,
and those that will be accepted by the coordination of the Working Groups
in which the member will show his/ her communications.

    Are only academic works accepted?
No, the Observatory of Cibersociety makes a call to all the entrepreneurial
world and the Civil Society to participate on this Congress, because we
understand we all have to give answers to the questions related to this
calling: Towards what Knowledge Society?

    Do I have to pay any fee for participating?
You must consult the section ‘Registration’ of the Web Site of the
Congress, but the answer to this question is NO. The registration in the
Congress is completely free, although there is a small fee for those who
want to obtain a registration certification and the minutes of the Congress.

--> 4. More information

* For questions, doubts and suggestions, please write us to
congreso at cibersociedad.net

* All about the Conference: http://www.cibersociedad.net/congreso2004

* All about the Observatory for CiberSociety: http://www.cibersociedad.net

* E-mail for more information:

->If you want to receive all the information and news about the Conference
through e-mail, please, mail us to mesinfo at cibersociedad.net specifying
your name and surname and your e-mail address.

->Also you can register in our Newsletter through the form:
http://www.cibersociedad.net/congreso2004/contacte/alta_butlleti.php

--> 5. Schedule

12.07.2004 - Opening of registration period for the Conference

20.07.2004– Call for Papers

07.10.2004– Deadline of communications acceptance

21.10.2004 - Publication of full official program of the Conference

02.11.2004 - Inauguration of the Conference

14.11.2004 - Closure of the Conference

--> 6. Contacts

If you DO NOT WANT to receive more e- mails about the Conference:
baixa at cibersociedad.net

If you WANT To receive more information about the Conference:
mesinfo at cibersociedad.net
http://www.cibersociedad.net/congreso2004/contacte/alta_butlleti.php

To send an opinion about the spreading of the Conference:
comentaris at cibersociedad.net

Technical Secretary's Office:
C / Careers i Candi, 37-39, Local 1.
08028 Barcelona
Phone: +34 93 431 28 44
Fax: +34 93 298 09 42

Organization of the Conference:
congreso at cibersociedad.net

--> 7 legal Advice:

We are sending you this e-mail only because we think you could be
interested on it and contains privileged information. The sending is
personal and has non- commercial and non- profit purpose.

The contents of this e-mail are exclusively addressed to the specified
recipients.

If you are not the selected addressee, you have received this message by
mistake or we have made you any trouble, please, you must consider that
this is has not been our intention to disturb you and accept our apologies.
Press here baixa at cibersociedad.net and we will eliminate any information
related to you from our registry.