[Air-l] what is "the digital divide"?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Jun 5 13:32:27 PDT 2005

In view of all the interesting discussion about deconstructing "the
digital divide" hereiin

"What is the digital divide? It seems like specialized jargon to me."

That is the question that a copy-editor asked a student of mine who had
contributed a chapter to a book about the internet.

I wuz flabbergasted. We pointed out that it was a widely used term,
defined it, showed that there were > 3M entries for it on Google and > 11K
on Google Scholar.

Still waiting for the copyeditor's apology.

 Barry