[Air-l] SW to store webpages

Thomas Koenig T.Koenig at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Jun 5 18:54:29 PDT 2005

Cox wrote:

>The ability to scour the web automatically brings with it the challenge of
>dealing with all the data. So, another relevant question to this thread is,
>what are the automation tools (if any) that people are using for, say,
>content analysis?

I personally use a lot of software to aide me in analysis. I put an
overview of this software here:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/mmethods/research/software/index.html

Another good place to start is:

http://www.textanalysis.info/

But since you ask about "automatic tools", I linked the "automatic
concept mappers" I am aware of here:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/mmethods/research/software/stats.html#map

I tried out several of those programs. The good thing about them: they
are very fast: If they produce useless results, you haven't lost much
time. If they do: Great! The bad thing: They have not really been been
assessed using traditional content analytical criteria, as far as I
know. I know only of one exception, a (in my view very useful) paper
about Leximancer forthcoming in  "Behavior Research Methods". Maybe
there are others, but I don't know about them.

So, for now I use them as a heuristic device, rather than as "analysis".

You probably would need to give more details, about what you understand
under "content analysis", if you would like more pointed suggestions.

Thomas

--
thomas koenig, ph.d.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/mmethods/staff/thomas/