[Air-l] re: tech competence

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 07:55:14 PDT 2005

I suspect for new media-related courses the most important tech-
related stuff to teach to all of them would be in the area of "un-
learning" rather than learning. Unlearning the exaggerated
assumptions many students may have about the levels of tech
competence and use in the general population (using qualitative/
ethnographic studies of Internet use) on the one hand and unlearning
their assumptions about the way the Internet and key services work on
the other (eg a primer on how search engines deliver results
deconstructing the commercial and technical decisions underlying them
which would be helpful for their own web searching as well as for
user understanding).

P.S. References to using UNIX for anything research-related made me
smile ruefully. I wasn't surprised by Ezter's remarks on this. Since
we at the LSE don't have a Comp Sci department (Information Systems
is social science-y not primarily tech) there's very little support
for UNIX here except for an "Advanced Research Computer". Even Macs
are distinctly second class citizens: "Apple Mac and Unix computers,
and other machines running non School standard operating systems, are
not supported other than provision of assistance on how to connect to
the School’s network." (In practice, fortunately I have found several
helpful IT people at the LSE who have informally aided me in
connecting my Mac). There's probably plenty of UNIX around behind the
scenes but nothing the ordinary student would run across. I too
wonder for how much longer undergrads at universities will be exposed
to it.

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)