[Air-l] Internet vs. WWW

Laurent Straskraba laurent at straskraba.net
Sun Mar 20 02:55:23 PST 2005

Hi,

it's rather simple:

1) There is the Internet, the "big" inter-connection of networks and any
item being connected to it.
2) The Extranet, which means all networks which are not part of an internal
network
3) The Intranet, this is the one you're using within a specific location
(office, etc.) - it's even protected (firewall, etc.)

You see, 2 and 3 are subgroups of 1.

Concerning the WWW, this is a *service*/application of the Internet, using
the hypertext transfer protocol (http://) in order to enable access to
text, pictures, sounds, and other combinations of multimedia by using webpages.

So if you're talking about WWW, you're still talking about the Internet but
just by using one specific service. There are much more people are not so
much aware of (newsgroups, ftp, wap, etc.).

If you'd like to read more about the WWW:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/history.html

Best,
Laurent

At 02:54 20.03.2005, you wrote:
>Neill, thanks for the quick response.
>
> > So in order to be on the Internet, a computer needs two things: (a)
> > connection via TCP/IP; (b) and IP address.
> >

>Can my computer connect to other computers or receive data not on its
>harddrive not via TCP/IP? If not, then my initial understanding of "the
>Internet" was correct?
>
>Reuven Shlozberg
>Political Science
>University of Toronto

>http://www.aoir.org/

---
Mag. Laurent Straskraba
Information Society Researcher

post: Ontlstrasse 3, A - 4040 Linz, Austria / Europe
mobile: +43.650.7711861 (GMT +1)
e-mail: laurent at straskraba.net
web: http://www.straskraba.net
---